Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - MS Word documents transferred via Remote Desktop seem to lose permissions

Microsoft Word - MS Word documents transferred via Remote Desktop seem to lose permissions


MS Word documents transferred via Remote Desktop seem to lose permissions

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 02:07 PM PDT

Hello,

For my work, I have to type documents in my computer, log in to work via Remote Desktop and either open a Word document there and copy and paste, or log in to RDP with Local Resources C drive option and drag and drop my typed document to the RDP. 

However, when someone on the other end wants to open the document and edit it, they get a message saying they don't have permission. 

In the RDP folder, I am able to right click on the document => Properties => Security => Edit group or user names => Add a user, but that is for each document and for each of the 4 users - this could end up being hundreds of changes. 

So my question is...can I make this change once and permanently for any or all documents and any or all users? 

My MS Word permission for my computer shows Unrestricted Access, so I don't think that is the issue here. 

Thanks in advance,

Nancy

Something opens Word documents I didn't. Can't see them until turning off interrupted by message asking to save them

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 12:24 PM PDT

It happened almost every day or two in my old account. I have just opened a new administrator account five days ago and the problem started again: just after the computer is already closing (I always make sure I close everything including FIle Explorer, win8 apps and all) it says it can't close because a file (or Word) is open. and when I choose to close the file manually and the PC reverts back to the desktop, I see the message in the pic below. No Word document in the taskbar or elsewhere. 

This time it was the same document twice, others were different documents. And last time it happened I saw it was calling them "Document31" and numbers around that, now it was Document1 and Document2. And when I save them somewhere i see the content of an actual doc of mine... (! ??). What's going on here?

Oddity in booklet format

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 11:49 AM PDT

I have made a 4-page booklet from one sheet of 8.5 by 11. I started with the MS template from http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/booklet-TC104009678.aspx. Everything is OK but when the text runs off the bottom of one page it does not automatically go onto the next page. Seems strange.

How do I automatically open a Word document at startup?

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 10:42 AM PDT

So that 2 specific Word documents open automatically each time I start up, I've created shortcuts to them and placed these in the Startup menu. This has worked fine in the past, but not anymore.


At startup, 'X.docx' opens, and so does 'Y.docx'. And another Word window with a File In Use dialogue box saying

X.docx is locked for editing by 'Andrew Dillon'.

Do you want to:

[radio buttons]

  • Open a Read Only copy
  • Create a local copy and merge your changes later
  • Receive notification when the original copy is available

[OK / Cancel]

And another Word window with a File In Use dialogue box saying Y.docx...

Looking in Windows' configuration editor (msconfig), Startup tab, X.docx & Y.docx are listed twice. I can disable 1 of each, but this doesn't solve it.

Thank you for your help!

Lewis Formulas in MS Word?

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 10:27 AM PDT

Hi

How can I produce Lewis Formulas in MS Word?

I have tried the Equation building tool but it seems a little limited - mind you I don't use it much

For example a very simple H20 molecule's Lewis would be


I had to do this as a graphic as I couldn't get Word to create it.

Any help would be appreciated

Automatized "copy-paste" from ppt to word

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 09:16 AM PDT

Hi All,

I have several 200 slide powerpoint documents, and I would like to create 1 word document, which includes the "copy-pastes" of each slide of the mutiple powerpoint documents.

In other words, the word document would include the following elements:
- copy paste of 1st slide of 1st ppt document
- blank line
- copy paste of the 2nd slide of the 1st ppt document
- blank line
- ...
- copy paste of the last slide of the 1st ppt document
- blank line
- copy paste of the 1st slide of the 2nd ppt document
- blank line
- ...

How could I do that quickly?

Many thanks

Microsoft Word 2010

Posted: 11 Oct 2014 03:08 AM PDT

Hello,

I am trying to email a large document to a person using a Mac computer, and for some reason my whole document gets distorted, with pictures over the text,and whole document text moves. Is there anyway to keep text and pictures anchored in the position where I placed them?

Thank you

Service... or disservice

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 11:22 PM PDT

Dear OFFICE/SCHMOFFICE TEAM

After having spent almost 10 hours tonight with an open wallet - with the intent of securing a family deal for the Office system... but having a few (only 3-4) basic questions regarding the Office pack - and (after quite a few attempts) none of them were answered... why should I waste another night in an attept to give my money to a company that obviously has no interest in giving my any service, whatsoever????

My WORD 2003 version is still working. Your 2007 version crashed on 3 separate computers when given a simple task (replace ^p^p^p with ^p^p).

I have sent quite a few emails asking if this basic flaw has been corrected in later versions - I have never been answered.

Since you don't dignify honest questions with an answer, I won't bother you any more.

I spent some time on elaborating my question... but since I have not even got one lame attempt from you to provide me with honest answers, I won't bother anymore. My question will probably be filed somewhere... but since I am not a major source of income, the answer to my question is LOW priority.

I understand that.

And since you seem to value your younger users more than the middle-aged - well, that's your decision.

Since I can no longer buy your OFFICE software package on a DVD, usable for 5 computers, and I also feel that your user service is aiming for the younger generation on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram or whatever... why should I bother to buy your latest Office pack? It seems to be that I'm paying more for less (at least there doesn't seem to be much customer service involved). Wouldn't it be easier to get the free OpenOffice pack?

I started this evening with the intent of buying the Microsoft Office pack... but the few questions I had, have not been answered. At the moment, I'm not in the buying mood. I'll probably wait 'till after New Year's... and I'm not sure the wait will be in your favour. Because I will ask everybody I know: "Why should I pay money for a package that I can get for free?" One answer that might have persuaded me would have been: "Because of the service!" But when I can´t get any personal service (or it is to obscure) on the night I'm trying to BUY MY WAY IN... then I doubt it will get any better if they know I've already paid.

I SO WANTED to become a paying custemor to your service tonight... but I won't pay for being ignored, and refused answers to questions that matter a lot regarding my usage of your software.

My suggestion would be to add a SKYPE-CHAT, instant service - I saw a Skype button and thought it provided that service, but no, it was just a sub-page to questions regarding Skype.

And another issue is that you offer limited options regarding the complaint/issue/question.

That limits even more the possibility that the complaint will reach the right parties.

So I'd be very surprised to get an answer that truly addressed my issues. But I hope this will help you improve, so that if I decide to give you another try next year, it won't be so f**king difficult to post questions directly to the right persons,

Citation and Bibliography Tool for Law Students and Legal Profession

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 09:11 PM PDT

I have been in school for a few years studying law. When writing long research papers one of the only ways I have found to keep my references straight is to use the Citation Tool in Word. It has the wonderful ability to keep all the documents and books used organized and can even generate the citation, footnotes and bibliography at the end. However, since the legal career field uses an unusual method of citation called the "Bluebook" it is difficult to use the tool to form citations. Bluebook uses citation clauses and footnotes for legal practice and footnotes and a bibliography in academics. It also has a strange system of abbreviations and signal phrases, utilizing a lot of Latin terms.

I spent a good amount of time on the internet one day trying to find a way to use the Citation Tool in word to help me when writing legal documents. Although "Bluebook" is a copyrighted publication, with the amount of people in the legal profession I can not foresee many of them that would not pay a reasonable fee for a plugin that would take some of the work off of them and their paralegals.

Is there any way for Microsoft to consider this idea and create a way to either integrate this style guide into the Citation tool, or perhaps update Word to allow for third party applications that can be appended to the program to add different styles?

Any thoughts from anyone else?

No RTF support in Word on iPad?

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 06:20 PM PDT

There doesn't seem to be a way to open RTF files in Word on iPad. Am I missing something, or is this feature missing? Are there plans to add support for this popular file format?

Greyed-out Drop Caps

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 05:42 PM PDT

My Word document does not allow Drop Caps function - it is greyed out.

Why ?How to fix?

Document Imaging

Posted: 10 Oct 2014 04:30 PM PDT

I am trying to install document imagining, but am unsuccessful.  The method I'm using is below:

  1. Click the Start button , and then click Control Panel.
  2. In Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Programs and Features.
  3. Right-click the name of the Microsoft Office edition that you installed or right-click Microsoft Office Word 2007 (depending on whether you installed Word as part of Office or as an individual program), and then click Change.
  4. Click Add or Remove Features, and then click Continue.
  5. Under Installation Options, click the plus sign (+) next to Office Tools.
  6. Click the arrow next to Microsoft Office Document Imaging, click Run all from my Computer, and then click Continue.

The process ends by stating that the the installation was unsuccessful.  I'm using MS Word 2007 and Windows Vista.

Any guidance would be great!!  Thanks a bunch,  Uncle Dewey