Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - headers and Footers in Word

Microsoft Word - headers and Footers in Word


headers and Footers in Word

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 03:07 PM PDT

How do I suppress headers on certain pages.  I'm writing a book and I don't want the page headers on Chapter title pages.  How do I stop this?

Cannot open Word docs as email attachments

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 02:33 PM PDT

I have searched other questions in this community and no one has yet posted the exact problem.

I have a new Surface Pro 3 running Windows 8.1 and use MS Office 2010. Updates are done automatically to both.

When someone sends me a Word document as an email attachment, it will not open. I get the error message "MS Word has stopped working". If I try again, Word wants to open in Safe Mode, and shows the unopened document in the side bar. I have found that if I open the doc using Wordpad, there is no problem. I then save it in RTF mode, and can then open it in Word.

The email clients I use are Outlook Web Access and Mozilla Thunderbird. Neither will open Word attachments.

I usually use Mozilla Firefox (again, up-to-date) to access Outlook. I tried using Internet Explorer, and it made no difference.

I just ran the repair mode for Office 2010 and that did not help, either.

Interestingly, I have NO problem opening up Word docs on my wife's laptop, which also has Office 2010 but is running Windows 7.

Logic would lead me to the conclusion that there is some sort of incompatibility with Win 8.1 and Word 2010 when the Word document has been sent as an email attachment.

Any ideas as to how this can be fixed? And please, do not tell me to upgrade to Office 2013!

Questions about indexing

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 01:29 PM PDT

1. After looking at the XE field codes, I conclude that there is no way to have Word put, e.g. "cats, continued" above index columns for one header that run to several pages. This makes it hard to know where you are in a large index in which one heading may go on for more than one column or page.

2. I also conclude that there is no way to have additional indentation after the first of several lines of page numbers in a given heading or subheading.

I would like, for example, the extra indent before "82." This would make the index easier to read.

cats

   siamese, 33, 44, 55-60,

      82, 104

ctrl-p doesn't invoke print menu

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 12:48 PM PDT

Anyway to get this back?  I've websearched this, but only postings I've found have to do with hotkeys in the File menu or in the Quick Access menu.  I don't have Print in the Quick Access menu, nor do I want it, and the File menu is not a menu (it is an entire panel without any indication of hot keys of any sort).

Cursor Problem in Word 2010

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 12:35 PM PDT

My cursor in Word 2010 flickers constantly back and forth between an arrow and a rotating blue circle.  How can I stop this?

How do I make a new style show up in the styles list?

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 12:35 PM PDT

I made 

I made a new list style and it shows up in the manage style box, but how do I make it show up on the styles list drop-down so I can select it?

Thanks

Need help with Picture Content Control and not printing when no picture present

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 12:18 PM PDT

I can't seem to figure out how to keep a Picture Content Control box (specifically the shading of the box element) from printing when no picture is present. I am using the Picture content control within a table cell in a Word form. Could anyone suggest a way to keep the content control from printing or showing that there's an element in the cell when no picture has been added?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

Content control mirroring entry

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 11:17 AM PDT

I have a Word document with content controls that have lists. The lists have different words in them. When either control is updated by choosing one of the words in the list for the corresponding control the other control gets updated with the same information. Somehow these are bound together but I cannot figure out how.

This was a template downloaded from Office.com.

Thank you.

SAVING FILES TO DESKTOP

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 10:10 AM PDT

HOW DO I  SAVE FILES TO DESKTOP - DESKTOP NO LONGER APPEARS ON THE RIGHT HANE LIST WHEN  i CLICK "SAVE TO" iS IT BECAUSE i DOWNLOADED dROPBOX?

Commenting on Word Document that was converted from PDF

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 09:13 AM PDT

I converted a PDF document to Word. I wished to be able to edit/comment on this document. But when I bring the document up, I am unable to "paint" a word. The cursor is just a "crossed arrow", that only allows me to move the doc around.

Problem with launching Word 2007

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 08:36 AM PDT

I Have a genuine copy of Enterprise 2007 suite, and moved up to Windows 7 after a HDD crash in March (also genuine copy)

All worked well until about a month ago

Now when I try to launch Word it takes me to the User Account Control asking me if I want to allow Word to make changes to my computer

If I agree, then word launches OK

I cannot double click on a word document to open Wod and the document any longer

I get the same User Control question, but when i agree I get an error message saying that "there was a problem sending the command to the program"

Word is the only program in the suite that is affected

I have tried "repair" and have also uninstalled and reinstalled from the original disc, but the problem persists

I'm getting a bit narked now!!

How to ask Track Changes to stop tracking the "Field Code Changed"?

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 08:15 AM PDT

Dear all,

In "Track Changes Option", I am able to ask Word 2010 to stop tracking formatting changes (So that only insertion/ deletion will be shown as mark-up).

However, I found that when there are "embedded Link Objects" being inserted in a Word documents, Track Changes will also tract the "Field Code changed".

Wondering are there any ways for Track Changes to stop tracking the "Field code changed", so that I can track only Insertion/ deletion in my document?

Many thanks!

Creating a Table of References in Table Format

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 08:01 AM PDT

I want to create a reference section to my document that is in the form of a table rather that just a list.

Using the concept of a Table of Contents as an example, I would like it to look like this:.

Style 1

Style 2

Style 3 Style 6
Style 4 Style 7
Style 5 Style 8

I have tried to do this as a ToC but cant seem to work out how I could format it in this way.

Is it possibel to do this or, if not, does anyone know of an alternative method


Delay saving documents

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 07:09 AM PDT

Using my Surface for business I have project files and sub folders.

When I try to save a document or Email there is a long delay before it asks me where I want to save it to.

Whatever application I am using (Excel, Word etc) goes into non responsive mode for about 30secs to a minute before asking where I want to save it to.

Any help would be appreciated.

How can I search for a specific file in word for Ipad?

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 05:38 AM PDT

How do I find a specific file within word for ipad.  I see the search icon within a document but cannot find how to search all of my doc files and folders for a specific word/name.

How do I access the practice files for MOS 2013 Study Guide for Microsoft Word Expert Parts 1 & 2 (by John Pierce)?

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 05:33 AM PDT

 I have the electronic version.  I have tried looking for the "download" link on the Microsoft Pressstore website but I don't see it.  I have sent several emails to various microsoft-press accounts but I have not received a response.  HELP!!!!

Word 2010 fields not retaining values when document is closed/opened.

Posted: 31 Oct 2014 03:20 AM PDT

Hi,

A colleague has asked for help with an issue they are having with documents containing fields.

It is a fairly basic invoice doc with fields for entering numerical values, with another field with a formula that totals these values and calculates/applies VAT.

The 'total' field only updates when the doc is printed, which I believe is normal behavior. However after re-opening the doc after saving/closing the 'total' value has reverted to zero. Printing again will update the field correctly, but again it will not retain it if the doc is closed.

This document is protected from editing, I think to prevent other people tinkering and users can only enter values into the fields.

The protection is applied with a password - could this be causing the issue? Unfortunately the person who knows the password is away at the moment so I cannot test this myself >.<

Another colleague has a similar invoice doc that is protected from editing (with no password/blank password) and this works as we would expect i.e. updated field values are retained after saving/re-opening.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TIA

Greg

Microsoft Won't Open Anything

Posted: 30 Oct 2014 11:00 PM PDT

I am a college student so using things such as Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel are crucial for me. However, the last couple of times I tried to open one of these things on my laptop, they would not open. Instead, I would get this pop up saying:

"Something went wrong

We couldn't start your program. Please try starting it again."

Now, I am very bad with technology so when I went to control panel to try and find what the problem was, I just got lost and even more confused.

Is there any way to get back into using Word and my other items quickly? I really don't want to have to go to multiple websites on how to fix this. A step by step solution is what I need and even then I am not sure I could follow those correctly. Also, what can I do to prevent this from happening again? I live in a college dorm so I'm limited to the WiFi on campus.

Finally, I also do not have a clue of what half of the computer terms mean. I am very sorry but the best detail I can give you is that I have a black HP laptop I bought from Best Buy last year. It's start menu is that weird square thing with the four boxes in the lower left hand corner of my computer screen. However, I do believe I have the 2013 Microsoft Word (but I'm not positive) because when I bought the computer, it came with all of that stuff already on it (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Note, etc). 

MS Word 2013 intermittently scrolls up or down and freezes requiring closing program with Task Manager and losing text

Posted: 30 Oct 2014 10:09 PM PDT

For no reason in particular all of a sudden while I'm typing a document MS Word 2013, the document will starting scrolling either all the way up to the beginning of the document or scrolling down to the end of the document. The program is then frozen and the only way to resolve the problem is to go to the Task Manager close the MS Word Program and then restart and restore the document through document recovery. Unfortunately sometimes quite a bit of text hasn't been saved requiring me to retype.

This is extremely frustrating and since I'm a transcriptionist who types all day long. I lose time and money having to deal with this annoying problem.

I am using Windows 8.1 on a relatively new (2013) Toshiba  laptop with Intel Core i5.

Determine which data source a merge main doc is looking for

Posted: 30 Oct 2014 04:29 PM PDT

I am trying to use a Word merge file that my predecessor created.  It cannot find its data source--but I know the source is here somewhere. How can I determine what file the main Word document is looking for?  Obviously there is some code in the main doc that tells it which data file to access!  I've done my homework-- scouring Help and Support as well as other forums and the internet (multiple times over the years!) has turned up no way to access that information.

Font and line spacing changes when document is opened on another computer

Posted: 30 Oct 2014 03:52 PM PDT

Split from this thread.

I'm having a problem where other users are opening a document that I have been editing and the font and line spacing isn't the same. But when I open it everything looks correct. The document is on a shared drive. The font and line spacing have to be a particular way for the document.