Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - Word 2013, File Save Dialog what does "maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word" option do?

Microsoft Word - Word 2013, File Save Dialog what does "maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word" option do?


Word 2013, File Save Dialog what does "maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word" option do?

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 03:20 PM PDT

In Word 2013, at the bottom of the File Save dialog I just notice this check box option "maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word".

Exactly what does it do?

Hyperlinks & Bookmarks in an htm (Web Page) document

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 02:57 PM PDT

I produce a lot of .htm documents via Word 2010.

I have an issue whereby I am linking to another .htm file and to a bookmark within the file e.g.

filename.htm#BOOKMARK

If the bookmark is in all CAPS then 2 things invariably happen. When the document is saved:

1) Word automatically inserts a new paragraph after the hyperlink/bookmark.

2) All the text below the hyperlink/bookmark now contains multiple, multiple hyperlinks. If the document is long there can be hundreds of automatically generated hyperlinks for whole paragraphs.

I am using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010. Version 14.0.7116.5000 (64 bit) [supplied by the company).

I have searched and searched to see if this has been reported but had no luck.

Guessing the Name

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 01:04 PM PDT

So I liked the feature on the old Microsft Word (before 2013) that took the first line and used it automatically as the title when you went to save. I noticed that in Word 2013, or at least my edition, it no longer does that, instead taking the name of the last thing you saved or the last thing you opened as the default. Why is that? Is there some kind of switch that I have turned off? Or is it not on the new product? If so, I really hope they make an update to include that, as it was very helpful.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Office 365 suddenly stopped working

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 12:51 PM PDT

I purchased Office 365 University a couple of months ago. It was working fine until today when I tried to open some of my Word documents-they didn't open- nothing happened at all. I tried just opening Word but nothing happens then either. It seems to be same for Excel as well. When I looked in the control panel programs section none of the Office programs were there.

/Word/document.xml, LIne:2, Column:0 Please help!

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 12:27 PM PDT

I encountered this error message when I tried to open this document.

I have been working on this for weeks... cannot afford to lose it.    Can anyone please help me recover this file?

I have uploaded my file to sendspace.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h3ddvw

Ben

unable to open office 2013

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 10:52 AM PDT

After doing windows update cannot access office 2013 applications. I am unable to repair or uninstall as get error message saying 'please wait untill the programme is finished uninstalling/changing.'

Add mergefield switch to AddressBlock for Word 2010 merge

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 10:27 AM PDT

I like using the AddressBlock for merging, but having the problem with the leading zero dropping in the zip code.  Is it possible to insert the switch to force the formatting of the zip? {Mergefield Zip \#"0000"}

Where would it be added?  I don't quite understand where the field name <<_Postal_>> is defined to be able to make this change.

Word 2013 freezes for ~5 secs on save with message "Uploading to OneDrive"

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 09:43 AM PDT

I'm running into an annoying problem where every time I save a Word 2013 document, Word hangs for about 5 to 10 seconds with the message "Uploading to OneDrive" on that status bar.  I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro and the document is saved locally to my SkyDrive/OneDrive folder.  I would expect that the SkyDrive/OneDrive sync would save these files to the cloud but instead it looks like the Microsoft Office Upload Center app is doing it instead.  I *think* that what's happening is that Microsoft Office Upload Center is blocking Word 2013 from running while it uploads to the cloud.

It also appears that Word 2013 thinks it's opening the OneDrive version of the file rather than the file that's living on my local disk even though the file in my Skydrive folder says "available offline". 

Is there any way to tell Word 2013 to open and save the local file *only* and tell Microsoft Office Upload Center to chill out and take a break?  Basically, I want the Windows 8.1 SkyDrive/OneDrive process to do the uploading to the cloud when it gets around to it rather than MOUC's immediate upload.

If it helps, I get and install my version of Word 2013 (and the rest of Office) via my Office 365 subscription.

Thanks,

-Ben 

Service status failed

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 09:07 AM PDT

Microsoft 2007 Diagnostics tells me the Service Status in Components failed. What can I do about this?

<Service Status="Failed" Name="cmdagent"/>

I use Vista SP2 from Office Home and Student

It may or may not be associated with the following:

When I try to open a document with a double click it says it can't find it, but I can open it within Word.

Ic an't get a print dialogue box even though the prineter is said to be connected and ready and the standalone photocopying by the printer works (HP Photosmart 5520).

The problems followed a malicious attaqck, which I think has been disposed of.

John Presland

Word 2013 stole my 2007 documents

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 09:00 AM PDT

I use Office 2007 and recently inserted my flash drive on a system using 2013. All of my Word 2007 documents were converted to 2013 and now I cannot open them on my system using 2007. How do I retrieve my documents using Word 2007?

Unable to use Office 2013 offline

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 08:23 AM PDT

Bought 2013 online 01 june 2013. after recent update from yesterday  while connected on line i can open  word , excel and others.

I am unable to open Microsoft 2013 wile in off line ( not connected to internet)

when  opening  word document by using product key option ( not online) i am unable to perform the same . it gives message hold . office to get the information . it takes more than 30 mts. still I am unable to open.

as all the time the internet connectivity is not possible. off line use of Microsoft 2013 is not possible in my case.

Tried the following steps also.

repair the mocrosoft 2013 office and home thru control panel change option . still i am unable to open mS office 2013 offline)

request your help

thanks

a.gunasekaran

[Original title: microsoft office2013]

Issue with Win 8 vs Office 365 after Win update

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 06:19 AM PDT

Windows 8 installed a "Critical Update"yesterday. Now none of my Office 365 programs are woking. They don't open at all, so noe erros message even appear. I restored my sstem to before this critical update and it was working fine. The restored agian to a resotre point I'd created before starting this process (i.e. AFTER the update) and the problem persists.

Multi-level list style for bullets

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 05:20 AM PDT

The rule for stable multi-level list styles has always been to assign a paragraph style to each level of the list, a rule that I have always followed when developing templates. However, I'm wondering if it really is still necessary. Here is the scenario that prompted this train of heretical thinking.

I need to create a template that has 4 numbered heading levels where each level of text is indented so that the number aligns with the start of the text of the previous level. So far nice and simple. Here is where it gets awkward. After each level I need to be able to insert a bulleted list. The bulleted list may, in turn, have up to 3 levels as pictured below in a rough example I knocked up.

So my question is:

Do I really need to create List Bullet 6 - List Bullet 12 or could I get away with creating 4 list styles with just one paragraph style attached at level 1 and then have the list style apply the further levels? Or would this, as I suspect, lead to instability?

Thanks

Office 2013 doesn't work

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 03:07 AM PDT

Hi,

suddenly my Office 2013 had stopped working without any reason. Now when I try to open one of its programs, I see this message: "A problem is happened. It was not possible to start the program. Please try again". It happens not only with Word, but with any Office program.

I tried many times but it just doesn't work.

What do I have to do?

Copy and paste HELP

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 01:30 AM PDT

I can't copy one document into another exactly from the source document: it automatically switches Times to Calibri and I cant change it without messing up the different font sizes I did, which is crucial for my 63-page document (the file needs to be put together with other files to form one file). I have tried everything I could find online on how to copy without changing format (which I'm really not sure what that means).

The file (A) that I need to copy is in "normal", Times 12pt with MANY parts of it in 10pt. The new file (B) is in "no spacing", Times 12pt. Both files with 1.5 spacing. When I paste, it changes it automatically to Calibri 11pt and if I try "no formatting", even though the boldfaced and italicised words are kept, my 10pt parts change to 12pt and this is not good. So I need to copy A exactly as is into B and I cannot do it and it is really upsetting me. PLEASE HELP!!!


Can I "set back" (recreate) a word document that is only saved on a USB to a particular date and time?

Posted: 23 Mar 2014 01:25 AM PDT

Hi all,

I'm probably a lost case, but I need to ask anyways. Three days ago I renamed a manuscript file that I was working on, and only saved it on my desktop. The old version became a kind of "trash document" where I left all the stuff that I could not use. After this, my work computer had to be completely reinstalled, and everything got deleted beyond repair (IT experts have looked into that). However, I still have the "trash document" that I saved on a USB.

My question is, is there ANY way to ask this "trash document" to go back to how it was three days ago? I only have it on my stick and it can unfortunately not be linked to the word program on the computer anymore. It only exists on the USB.

I think I know the answer - however, as I'm expected to defend my thesis soon and this was part of my thesis work, this is of course a nightmare scenario for me. I appreciate all answers.

Thanks,

Linda

PS- Yes, I KNOW about backing up. There are several small things that all added up to this, and it's also happening in the midst of a very stressful life situation in general, which is why this happened.

Can't find Microsoft Office programs in Windows Apps

Posted: 22 Mar 2014 10:48 PM PDT

So I bought Word, power point, one note and excel.

A few months after that, I started getting problems with my computer (caused by another product) and I was forced to reset my entire laptop. After I reset it, I saw I could still open my word and powerpoint documents without a problem. They worked fine and still do but for some reason they don't appear as apps when I search for them using Windows 8, except for Onenote. 

How can I fix this?

Custom Table of Contents in Office 2013

Posted: 22 Mar 2014 10:40 PM PDT


 I am trying t generate a TOC in the format below, but can't get the tab stops etc. quite right.

I have 4 heading styles and the first seven entries are formatted as TOC Level 2. I would be so grateful for any help, as I haven't much time left and am wasting valuable time trying to get it right!

Thank you
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
 
 
 


Make Office 2013 more stable?

Posted: 22 Mar 2014 09:16 PM PDT

Two most common screen hangs for me 

Word: when I go to search in a long document (100 pages plus) Comes up as 'not responding'

Outlook: when I go to add an attachment

I have Office 2013, Windows 8 pro, 8 MB Ram, Dell XPS laptop (2013)

Typically I have just Word, Excel and Outlook open at any one time

Do I just need more ram?

poss compatibility issues word - windows 8.1

Posted: 22 Mar 2014 06:43 PM PDT

just upgraded from to windows 8 to 8.1. Now Word won't open any docs or let me start a new one.

Error reads:

MS Word has stopped working.

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available

The compatibility troubleshooter has not helped. What do I do now?

Word 2010 - Changing Settings

Posted: 22 Mar 2014 04:47 PM PDT

I must have unknowingly changed something in the settings, all of a sudden when I create documents in Word 2010, in addition to the document printing, another page prints out w/Filename, directory, template, title, subject, author, keywords, comments, creation date, change number, last saved on, last saved by, total editing time, last printed on, as of last complete printing, etc.

I do NOT need and more so WANT this printing out, especially using up my ink, expensive labels, for home use, etc. How do I change the settings to STOP this from printing?

Thanks

Using WORD 2010 with Windows 8.1

Posted: 22 Mar 2014 03:56 PM PDT

I have just purchased a new laptop using Windows 8.1

I have MS Office 2010, but it will be not install onto my new laptop.

Do I have to purchase 2013 to install, or what?