Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - How can i both underline and strikeout text within a footnote?

Microsoft Word - How can i both underline and strikeout text within a footnote?


How can i both underline and strikeout text within a footnote?

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 02:56 PM PST

I'm working with a legal document that makes extensive use of footnotes.  The author wants to underline some text, and strike through other text.  Is there a way to do this?  I'm currently trying to find a solution using the "Footnote Text" style option.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Style Pane Management (Footnote text style won't show when used)

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 01:01 PM PST

With my Normal.dotm open, in my Manage Styles dialog>Edit tab, I have the following styles set to "Hide until used:"


Header

Footer

Footnote Reference

Footnote Text


There are others set that way but for the purposes of this question, that is all I will list.


Now, when I open a new document and click in the header or footer, the "Header" and "Footer" styles automatically appear in the Styles Pane.  This makes perfect sense as I know that all six of the header and footer storyranges are created when I first access either a header or footer.


Now, here is the strange part.  If I type some text in the document and then insert a footnote, the footnote reference number appears and the footnote text appears in the document.  I am assuming that both Footnote Reference and Footnote Text styles are now "in use" as I can see them in the document, but they do not appear in the Styles pane.


The only way I can get these styles to appear in the Styles Pane is to go back to the Manage Styles dialog and explicitly set them to show.


Is this a bug?  Can anyone else repeat this behavior or I am I simply doing something wrong?



What is best book to learn MS Word 2012 (coming from 2003)?

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 12:50 PM PST

What is best book to learn MS Word 2012 (coming from 2003)? I'm also coming from windows XP to windows 8, from outlook express to windows live mail, and from MS office picture manager to ??? (Windows Live photo editor?).  I need to learn quick! TKS!

Unable to open a WORD attachment in a email

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 12:46 PM PST

I recently installed Word 2013 and am getting a pop-up box when trying to open an attachment that is in WORD format.  The message says "Word has run into an error that is preventing it from working correctly. Word will need to be closed. Would you like us to repair now?'  I click YES and nothing changes when I try to open the attachment.  What can I do now?

Errors on opening a saved Word document that was being edited

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 12:21 PM PST

I had saved a 25 page Word document that was being edited using Track Changes & Comments etc. On reopening the document all Comments and Formating changes were visible, but all additions and omissions (e.g. corrections to spelling made using Track changes) had been lost. Additionally every word in some paragraghs had been duplicated, and some paragraghs had moved in to Comments boxes. I appear to have no interim or correct saved versions, so will need to redo all the Track changes. Any thoughts on the reasons, and what to do to prevent a recurrence? 

Word 2003 loses focus when opening a new document

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 11:54 AM PST

 I either click on a file to open in Word or I use Open in Word to open the file.  Either way the newly opened file doesn't have focus.  So I have to Alt_Tab to it to bring it into focus.  Imagine you're working on many documents, switching between them all and you've got to hassle with this all the time?  Every other program I use retains focus.  Why would you want to lose focus if you just clicked on the file?  I should mention also that the file name is highlighted on the Taskbar.  Why?  I just clicked it.  Does MIcrosoft think I just forgot what I just clicked on?  Amazing that people actually get paid for being this illogical and inefficient.  

Word 2003 can't remember View settings.

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 11:30 AM PST

It keeps on starting with Normal view and then there is a margin on the left for some reason.  I never put it there.  I hate margins.  They waste space.  I almost never print.  I just want it to default to Web view. You'd think a program would open in the last setting it closed in.  But no.  Microsoft seems to think we're all idiots and can't think for ourselves.  And it doesn't matter that almost every other program on the planet would remember its previous settings the next time it opened.  


So is there a way of rectifying this glaring deficiency?  


I've tried editing the Normal.dot file but it still opens in Normal instead of Web View.

MS Word 2010 - Using Built-In Document Properties for Repeating Data in a Template

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 10:28 AM PST

I am creating MS Word templates in version 2010. There are pieces of data that repeat throughout the document, for this I have put in built-in document properties that are not otherwise used. Users are able to enter what they like in the document property field and other instances of the same field throughout the document populate. During template creation, I made sure that the document property values for those properties that I want to use as entry fields are blank in the template. It was my understanding that the values for document properties are stored in the document itself, therefore when opening the template the fields should appear blank as I set them up. However, when running trials on my template, I have found that opening the template on different machines and by different users yields variable results. The document property fields should always appear empty until the initial user entry, but they have been opening with data already generated. My questions:

 

  1.  Is it true that the built-in document property values are stored in the document itself and are not unique to the user ID or machine?
  2.  If item 1 is true - is it true off all built-in properties or only some of them? I am using the following properties for user entry:
  • publish date
  • abstract
  • category
  • subject
  • manager
  • keywords
  • company

Thanks for your help!

 

Changing order of tracked changes

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 10:10 AM PST

I spend a lot of time trading documents with tracked changes with others.  One office with whom a lot of e-mail is exchanged insists that, when some text is replaced with other text, the added text should come first and then the deleted text should follow.  Since Word defaults to showing deleted text first and added text after that, tracking comparisons becomes messier than it ought to be. 

Is there any way to change the default order these changes are displayed (so that when a file loads a replacement of text will have the added text first and the deleted text after that)--either by a setting change or via macro?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

proofing errors message continues

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 09:37 AM PST

With a blank document open, an icon appears almost instantly stating that Word is checking for proofing errors.
Also the cursor becomes a circle like the i is calculating. I made adjustments in the settings to switch of grammar and spelling control, but nothing changes.

After a while I get the message saying there is not enough memory to do anything anymore and I have to close Word.
Any ideas?

Suppressing ruler in "old" full-screen view

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 08:43 AM PST

I prefer to edit a document without any of the ribbons, toolbars, menus, and other distractions. In Word 2007, I can do in the  full-screen mode (alt-v-u). But the ruler has showed up, even in this mode, and I can't get rid of it! Any idea how to get rid of the ruler in this full-screen mode?

Copy Drop-Down List

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 08:34 AM PST

I'm creating a form in Word, that will be saved as a template. I have a table on the form and would like to add a drop-down box of the same content in several spots on the table. I tried to cut and paste, but found that does not work. How do I duplicate a drop-down box with the same content to be used on the form in several locations? 

Bulltes and Sections linking

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 07:07 AM PST

I am creating a multi sectioned word document that will grow and change over time. Right now the bullets I have in the document are numbered the same as the section, however if I was to ever insert a new section in the document I will be forced to renumber all my bullets further down the document. Is it possible to line the bullet number directly to the section number?

Forms - to be completed by hand and/or electronically

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 06:58 AM PST

Hi

I'm new to Forms, so please be gentle with me!

I am creating a form which some users will complete electronically, but others will print out and complete by hand.

I have set up the fields, which now show <<Click here to enter text>> everywhere that a response is required.

The problem is that when the form is printed, <<Click here to enter text>> also prints, so there is no room for users to handwrite an answer. 

Is there a way to either:
  1. Have this text not print.
  2. Have a field there, but without the text (the design of the form makes it fairly obvious where they need to enter something).

Thanks.


Word 2013 can't render xml based docs correctly

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 04:14 AM PST

I use the BIRT reporting tool to generate word reports for the company I work for. 
The tool outputs an xml based word doc and up until now there has been no issues with our reports, until we started using Office 2013.
I am confident that this is not an issue with the tool as previous versions of it and the current version have worked fine with previous versions of word but we are now seeing issues with older and current versions of our reports in word 2013. 

The same report viewed in office 2010 looks perfect but it 2013 random tables in the report start getting torn apart or go missing, there are formatting errors and text get overlapped from one line into another .
It differs from report to report where the errors occur but given the same report viewed on multiple devices running office 2013 the errors appear in the same place, so its not a completely random occurrence. 

It is also not a view issue as I have printed the docs and printing from 2010 is fine, but 2013 still has a large amount of errors. 
In some cases when printing 2013 takes information in one column from one cell and puts it into another cell above or below it, all other cells get populated correctly but this one column gets populated with the wrong information in each of the cells.
This is what has led me to believe that it must be an issue with word as the idea of skipping around an xml file to pick an element that is not in sequence points to an obvious flaw in its ability to render xml correctly. 

Viewing the doc in its raw xml form it seems to have the correct tags.
My question is can someone point me somewhere where I could do a comparison of what xml tags are expected in 2010 vs 2013 and if there has been any change to the schema?
Or if someone has the knowledge; is this a known issue and is there a bug in 2013 that causes this?

Thanks
Alan 

Microsoft Office 2013 Applications are not working

Posted: 14 Jan 2014 03:29 AM PST

Hi.

I have installed Microsoft Office Student from the Windows Store. It has been working fine for nearly a year now, but suddenly, it doesnt seem to work. I have gone onto Control Panel to Repair it, and i have uninstalled and reinstalled it again, to no avail. When i open Word/Excel/PP, all that comes is a blank screen, with no commands or text available. Any help wouold be deeply appreciated.

This is what Word Looks like:

Access Denied. Contact the administrator.

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 09:05 PM PST

Hello,

We are a small company using WindowsServer2008R2 Enterprise software for our file server. Users are using Microsoft Office 2010 on Windows 7 Professional. All users have similar permissions.

When I open a file from file server on my computer, and edit -> save -> close it, after that neither me nor other users are able to open the file. We all get error "Access Denied. Contact your administrator". 

Note that if OTHER users do the same (i.e. open a file from file server on my computer, and edit -> save -> close it), we dont get the same error. We all are easily able to open the file.

Please suggest a solution urgently.

Thanks

Word 2010 - Template is duplicating text after unprotected option is deleted.

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 07:07 PM PST

I have a multi-section template using Legacy form fields for inputs in protected sections.  There is an unprotected section where the text may be deleted in full in some cases.  However, if retained, there is data to be added, hence unprotected.

 

If the text is deleted in full, including the Return to ensure paragraph spacing/numbering continues, this brings the two continuous section breaks together.  When that occurs, the first paragraph in the next protected section is repeating when the document is printed.  The Reading or Draft view on screen looks fine, but Print Preview and Printed version shows the paragraph being duplicated.

 

Can anyone suggest why this is occurring and what could be done to resolve this?

 

Smartart

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 05:05 PM PST

Hi, trying to create a flow chart using smart art.  Works very well except when getting to the point of wanting to insert another arrow/path ( to have yes path and no path to question).




Can anyone help? Thanks

Line spacing

Posted: 13 Jan 2014 04:48 PM PST

I'm trying to print Avery return address labels (#8167) with three lines of text. I used to do this easily using Word Perfect but cannot figure out how to do it in MS Word 2010. The problem is that Word only wants to print two lines of text. I've tried using the home page to adjust the line spacing and I've tried to adjust the paragraph spacing but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?