Pages

Search

How to create Rescue diskette? - Forums Linux

How to create Rescue diskette? - Forums Linux


How to create Rescue diskette?

Posted: 13 Aug 2005 04:48 AM PDT


"Kyiver" <net> wrote in message
news:talkaboutcomputing.com... 

You can download a live CD such as the latest Knoppix Live CD, and burn that
from Windows. It's very helpful., as are the installation CD's for most
Linux distributions that have a "rescue" boot mode.


My linux os verion and cpu/ram info

Posted: 12 Aug 2005 03:29 PM PDT


"kai-martin knaak" <de> wrote in message
news:de... 

What in the? OK, how about "cat /etc/issue.net"



Issue with Debian 3.1 on Intel x86 with 5 Terrabyte in a raid System

Posted: 12 Aug 2005 03:40 AM PDT

I'm not familiar with this board so please excuse me if my answers
(questions!) display my ignorance.

You installed but cannot reboot? Does your boot kernel include support
for this RAID? The install kernel may load the RAID driver after it has
booted so the same kernel might not be directly bootable. Of if it
needs to load modules, it might need to boot into a ramdisk first. Have
you tried building a custom kernel with the RAID drivers linked in (not
modules?)

If it turns out that the kernel simply cannot boot from the RAID, you
might try a floppy or CDROM boot. I had a home setup with one IDE drive
and a second drive on an HTP370 controller. It dual booted Win2K and
never did figure out how to get LILO or GRUB working, so I used a boot
floppy with a boot option "root=/dev/hd??". The only thing it read from
the floppy was the kernel, so once it was booted, it was a complete
hard disk based system. Something like that might work for you.

HTH,
hank

Disk Druid : swap partition can not be the 4th?

Posted: 11 Aug 2005 09:35 AM PDT

On 11 Aug 2005 09:35:10 -0700, com
<com> wrote: 

If you use fdisk instead of Disk Druid, you can partition your drive
without an extended partition, but then you can't have more than four
partitions. I see no reason not to have an extended partition.

--
BOFH excuse #188:
...disk or the processor is on fire.
Aug 12 Zaraday (5th of the Season of Bureaucracy) Festival of Zarathud
the Staunch

help for config

Posted: 10 Aug 2005 06:05 PM PDT

Op Thu, 11 Aug 2005 06:30:45 -0700, schreef Dee de volgende woorden:
 

debian is my prefered distro also ;), and quite good for "old systems".
When not running an X environment, you can do a lot with a 486 or P1
(including using it as a printserver :). Just download a netinstall iso
from http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst. Your pc needs 32 MB of ram
thoubh in order that the installer will run (i don't know how old your pc
really is ;)).

Good luck with it, and if you have debian specific questions, you
could go to linux.debian.user, it's community is very friendly, (although
i'm sure that, if needed, you will receive help here too).

Dirk

--
Statistics: The (futile) attempt to offer certainty about uncertainty.
-- Roger Koenker, 'Dictionary of Received Ideas of Statistics'

Upgrade fails from 2.4 to 2.6, getting unresolved symbols in ext3 module

Posted: 10 Aug 2005 07:09 AM PDT

Timothy Murphy wrote:
 

After reading the other response to your query,
I agree that you need to install a recent version of modutils -
I'd forgotten that.

I'm not sure if any other changes are needed; I think not.


--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
s-mail: School of Mathematics, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland

a password question

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 08:00 AM PDT

In comp.os.linux.setup Andy Fraser <com>: 
 
 
 

In addition to never ever installing any patches and always run as
root, for convenience and since they are used to it from doze.
 

Exactly, looks like they are already suffered serious brain
damage from running doze in addition to watching TV soaps. That's
what happens if systems never ever require any effort from their
users, but perhaps this is purpose? Keeping people as dump as
possible so they can be easily locked into vendors cage? Even if
they are looking beyond, they'll demand that things work like
they are used to...

--
Michael Heiming (X-PGP-Sig > GPG-Key ID: EDD27B94)
mail: echo qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
#bofh excuse 123: user to computer ratio too high.

libstd c++.so.5 error

Posted: 09 Aug 2005 03:55 AM PDT


"jw" <com> wrote in message
news:localdomain...
 

up2date sucks. End of sentence.

I vastly prefer yum, which deals very well with multiple local repositories
and alternative mirrors, and is much more informative about its errors.


monitor trouble with Mandrake 10.1

Posted: 08 Aug 2005 08:47 PM PDT

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 22:47:37 -0500, Trevor Smithon wrote:
 

Most (all?) laptops have a keypress combination that toggles the display
output between: LCD / External / Both

On my HP laptop, I press <Fn> <F5> to do that. There are little icons on
the Function keys that show you that. Try it.

--
If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
Linux Registered User #327951

Over 30,000 online linux manual

Posted: 01 Aug 2005 07:36 PM PDT

com wrote: 
I wish I could remember for sure what it was I requested the first time,
it was something I was actually trying to locate rather than a casual
test. Unfortunately several days have gone by, and either it was a
transient error or I misremember what I wanted. I thought I asked for
'ifname' and it now produces output, although it doesn't seem to have
the man page available and points to other man pages containing that term.

If I remember or get an error on something else I'll let you know, I
tried a number of things and none blew up this time. And if I have to
reboot I'll bring up the kernel I was using at that time (2.6.12-ck4)
just to see if there is any correlation there.

--
bill davidsen
SBC/Prodigy Yorktown Heights NY data center
http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com