Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - Why can I not save to a thumb drive on Office Word 2007 on my new Windows 8 computer? It tells me to check if a door is not closed or if a correct disk is inserted.

Microsoft Word - Why can I not save to a thumb drive on Office Word 2007 on my new Windows 8 computer? It tells me to check if a door is not closed or if a correct disk is inserted.


Why can I not save to a thumb drive on Office Word 2007 on my new Windows 8 computer? It tells me to check if a door is not closed or if a correct disk is inserted.

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 06:17 AM PST

I just got a new laptop with Windows 8. When I try to save a document typed in Office Word 2007, it will not same to any thumb drive I have,. I get a message that OI must check open doors or insure that the right disk is in use.

Dropdown Content Control = display name vs. value

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 05:22 AM PST

When adding items to the list in a Dropdown Content Control, Word offers a Display Name field and a Value field. I don't see where it ever uses the latter. Is is only intended to be accessed from VBA?

Formatting checkbox content control

Posted: 18 Jan 2013 04:53 AM PST

I know how to change the symbols Word 2010 assigns to the checked/unchecked states of the Checkbox content control, and it's nice that we can pick literally anything for these. But one symbol seems to be missing from the choices -- the appearance of the old (2003) ActiveX checkbox, with the sleek raised look and the illusion of a sturdy border. My boss is in love with these things, and I kind of agree. Screenshot here.

 

I don't see this symbol anywhere. Has is it been deliberately made unavailable so that nobody will mistake an old ActiveX control for a new Content Control? Am I just not looking in the right spot? Wingdings 254 comes close, but not close enough. If the ActiveX's weren't so finicky I'd just keep using them, but they don't play nice.


Can't check out/in a SharePoint 2010 document after installing Office 2013

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 02:34 PM PST

After installing Office 2013 I can't check out/in a document from our SharePoint document library.  Well technically SharePoint tells me the document was successfully checked out but when I go to look for it under my SharePoint Drafts folder it's not there.  I searched my entire hard drive to see if it put it somewhere else but it didn't.

 

I had seen an issue similar in previous versions of office and the solution was to go to File > options > save and verify that I was saving checked-out filed to: 'the server drafts location on this computer'

 

My Server drafts location: C:\users\username\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\

 

This isn't working in Office 2013. 

 

Here's what I'm running:

 

Office 2013 x64

Windows 7 SP1 x64

IE 9

McAfee Antivirus/EPO

 

Any Ideas?

: Why my "send a copy of document in an email message as attachment" is inactived (gray out)?

Posted: 17 Jan 2013 12:00 PM PST

Why my "send a copy of document in an email message as attachment" is inactived (gray out)?
I clicked office button and than clicked send - but unable to email my word document because the "send a copy of document in an email message as attachment" is inactive (grayed)

set outside the printable area

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 08:24 PM PST

With a template I have been given to use, when I print a document I get the message 'The page borders of section <N> are set outside the printable area of the page', once for every section of the document. Paper type is set correctly.

 

This happens even when I totally remove all content from the body, header and footer of a single-page document and use the Normal built-in margins (I can *see* the margins are in the right place).  Even when I print to OneNote instead of to a real printer. Even when I delete all the styles I can from the template.

 

There is nothing left in my document, so what could be causing the problem? The document prints correctly but I need to get rid of those error messages as my readers can't be expected to wade through 15 error messages when they print.

 

Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

 

Thanks

 

Bill.

Endnotes change orientation after filling the page.

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 07:15 AM PST

I have an endnotes section with the title 'References' followed by a section break so that my endnotes sit below the title.  I then have another section break after which I have set the page orientation set to landscape so that I can insert tables.  This was fine until my references reached the bottom of the first page at which point they spilled over onto a second page which is orientated in landscape.

 

Is there a way to have two or more pages of portrait orientated end notes followed by a new section of landscaped tables (without having to insert a blank page of portrait in between).

 

Thanks. 

date automatically updating in Word 2003

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 12:26 PM PST

I opened a Word document sent to me from someone else today and the date field automatically updated to today's date.  I have update automatically unchecked under the Insert menu.  How do I prevent Word from changing these documents that I didn't author?  Thanks.

Mail merge labels only shows first line

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 08:38 PM PST

I have gone through all the steps, and even though the full name and address (three lines) display at the "insert address block" step under "preview". when I go to "Preview your labels," only the first line (the name) gets inserted into each label in the document.  I have tried this in Word 2007 on one computer and Word 2010 on another (both XP) with the same frustrating result.