Pages

Search

grub start image - Forums Linux

grub start image - Forums Linux


grub start image

Posted: 22 Sep 2004 01:01 AM PDT

Gernot Frisch <net> wrote: 
 

I have not "installed" a distr for the last seven or eight years! But I
have grun 0.90 point something on a couple fo machines. I've just
downloaded the latest which is 0.95 something, but it won't compile
yet because it wants automake 1.infinity and I only have 1.4.
 

Never heard of an image background, but it may exist. I can read the
grub docs just fine (reading docs for you is chargable - tell me if you
want me to stop becuase you are running up too high a bill), and they
say

@example
# Change the colors.
title Change the colors
color light-green/brown blink-red/blue
@end example

I have reviewed every occurence of the word "image" in the docs, and
none refer to a bootsplash. So loks like you must have a
distro-specific mod.
 

This is all normal. What'swrong with that?
 

 
 

Why are you asking ME? Google is thattaway --->

Peter

FC1 doesn't boot updated kernal

Posted: 21 Sep 2004 05:45 PM PDT

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:45:12 -0500, craig wrote:
 

As root or equivalent type something like;

/sbin/mkbootdisk <kernel_version_number>

See 'man mkbootdisk' without the quotes for the details and options

--
Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Please copy me to your .sig! so I can spread
This E-mail is safe, no Microsoft products were used in creating me!

Getting all graphic's to appear in Firefox 1.0

Posted: 21 Sep 2004 09:43 AM PDT

cyberoptiq wrote:

/ ...
 

A quick learner, I see.
 

And consistent.
 

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

Initialising environment variables at startup

Posted: 21 Sep 2004 06:05 AM PDT

"chabral" <com> writes:
 

No, rc.local won't do. It is run in a subshell, and any changes to the
environment are lost when it exits. If you are using xdm, I believe you need
to set the DisplayManager.exportList resource. I don't use any graphical login
process, in part because I want to optionally set the SSH variables and then
spawn an X server so that all of the processes inherit the environment.

--
Michael Meissner
email: org
http://www.the-meissners.org

Debian lists

Posted: 21 Sep 2004 03:48 AM PDT

> Yes. By the way, if please don't top-post, and if you want to keep using 

I got the software, installed it and it promptly broke OE, disallowing me
from replying to any message at all until i had uninstalled it and rebooted.
I'm not planning to get any upgrades to Windows. I'm planning to stop using
it altogether




"Andreas Janssen" <com> wrote in message
news:cipck0$573$00$t-online.com... 


uninstalling Linux

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 09:34 PM PDT

Gopi wrote: 

insert the XP installation cd (boot from it), and go for the
rescue/repair setup (i.e. you don't want to install it again). you want
to end up with a prompt, without going into windows. then you just type
"fixmbr" or similar (i can't remember exactly as it has been a while
since i last did it) - try "help" to see a list, and windows will remove
grub/lilo. Your computer will now only boot into windows, so now all
that's left is to delete the linux partitions via partition magic or
whatever.

-alex

fdisk maximum number of partitions

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 03:23 PM PDT

Timothy Murphy <maths.tcd.ie> wrote: 

I can confirm that on RH 6.1 . In fact, I seem to recall that the limit
was "9". hda10 was not made in /tmp, or wherever they needed it to
let it be formatted.
 

I believe so.
 

It was one of such a huge number of RH bugs that I <censored>.

Peter

sound semi-broken (RH9, Ensoniq ES1370)

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 06:10 AM PDT

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:15:34 +0000, Davide Bianchi wrote:
 

There wasn't the option for Sweep or Audacity; dsp or nothing. (xmms
probably did have the option, but as I'd never had a problem with it using
OSS I'd never tried messing with it)

I've just ditched Red Hat 9 & Gnome on the desktop machine in favour of
Slackware 10 and KDE, so I'll see how that goes. Not had a chance to try
Sweep or Audacity on there yet, but xmms is now working with ALSA (well,
sort of working - it seems *very* prone to dropouts if the system's under
any load, which wasn't the case with the old version and OSS. I'm still
working on figuring out why that is)

cheers!

Jules

problem: mounting a scsi partition as normal user

Posted: 19 Sep 2004 07:11 PM PDT

On 2004-09-20, Tobias Dornisch <de> wrote: 

Hmm.. well, here's the problem - you don't have the uid,gid set here.
 

Uh. This is ok. But, try to put "0 0" instead of "0 2".

Here's my advice. Umount the sda1 and mount it by hand. See if this
works. Perhaps there's some kind of error you don't see when this fs
mounts.

--
I've found a great way to fight spammers....if you want to find out how,
mail me at postmaster@localhost ... very very soon, there'll be a reply.
To get my mail just reverse the order. Ie. "ylf" is changed into "fly".

LILO and SCSI drive

Posted: 19 Sep 2004 06:34 PM PDT

This problem would be avoided entirely by using a more recent version of LILO.

21.4-4 (probably from Red Hat) is over 4 years out of date.

http://lilo.go.dyndns.org/pub/linux/lilo

has both source and binary distros of LILO 22.6, the newest release.

--John



On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:34:03 +0000 (UTC), Ken Tew <wpic.upmc.edu>
wrote:
 

proftpd issue: create a secure ftp "bubble"?

Posted: 19 Sep 2004 11:00 AM PDT


"Stormfrog" <umu.se> wrote in message
news:google.com... 

You basically want a "chroot" enclusure. Read the manual pages and some
webpages describing how these work. This setup has become much easier with
the new "vsfptd" software, which is included in recent RedHat releases, and
I highly recommend it, even over the pretty good proftpd server.