Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - Replacing words in document after a dictionary in Excel Worksheet

Microsoft Word - Replacing words in document after a dictionary in Excel Worksheet


Replacing words in document after a dictionary in Excel Worksheet

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 02:28 PM PDT

There is a dictionary in Excel in adjacent columns (say A1:B10). The values in A-column are to be replaced according to corresponding values in B-column within a document DocName. Occurences can be mulplied, whole words only. How to devise a macro, preferably in Excel app to do it? Probably a decoct like this, the problem staying, however, in the concordance of slightly different forms of Find and Replace in both apps.

. . .

Set wdDoc = wdApp.Documents.Open(DocName)

Set oRng = wdDoc.Range

For I = 1 To 10

  s1 = Cells(I, 1).Value

  s2 = Cells(I, 2).Value

  With oRNG.Find

    .Text = s1

    .Replacement.Text = s2

    .Forward = True

    .Wrap = wdFindContinue

    .Format = False

    .MatchCase = False

    .MatchWholeWord = True

    .MatchWildcards = False

    .MatchSoundsLike = False

    .MatchAllWordForms = False

  End With

  oRng.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

Next I

. . .

I'll be grateful for any hint how to conjure

 

PBezucha

Mouse icon problem

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 02:21 PM PDT

When I go into Word (2013) my mouse pointer continuously flickers with the busy symbol.  I can create documents and do all Word functions but the busy symbol is the only symbol my mouse pointer shows.  this has only started in the past couple of weeks, and only occurs in Word.

Word Field Codes IF is not working as expected?

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 02:03 PM PDT

Hello,

I am trying to programmatically generate a customized footer to a .rtf like this using C#

My source code uses the { IF } field code to check if the current section is 2 and on, then show "Exhibit-A" for section 2, show "Exhibit-B" for section 3 and so on.

The resulting footer looks like this

It appears that the { IF {SECTION} = 2 { Exhibit-A } { XYZ } } statement is not evaluating or evaluates to False regardless.  I tried all combinations I could think of. Instead of 2, I tried { IF {SECTION}={=1+1}} with Refresh, without Refresh, or various double quotes, single quote, no quote, {}, it seems the {IF} won't work in code, I tried that in Word 2007 (manually) and it worked.  What am I not doing right? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Shirley

My Microsoft Word will not open at all.

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 01:42 PM PDT

When I try to open Word, it says, "Sorry, something went wrong and cannot open Word (2)"

I have tried restarting, troubleshooting, re-installing, everything!!!  Help.

Office 2013 Word: How do I hide comments

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 12:32 PM PDT

I would like to hide my comments to view the "clean" documnet I am working on.  The "show comments" button is grayed out. 

1)    How can I hide the comments temporarily?

2)     Why is the "show comments" button gray

Thanks!

When I create a style that has an 11 point font, why does it change to 12 point font when I apply the style?

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 12:28 PM PDT

Here are details about the style I created:

Name: Table Text

Style Type: Paragraph

Style Based on: Normal

Style for the following paragraph: Table Text

Formatting: Arial, 11 pt, Automatic

Font: (Default) Arial, Right: 0.5", Line spacing: single, Space Before: 3 pt, After: 3 pt, Style: Quick Style, Based on: Normal; Formatting: Arial (Body) 11 pt, Automatic.

Normal Font: (Default) +Body, Left, Line Spacing: Multiple 1.14 li, Space After: 10 pt, Widow/Orphan control, Style: Quick Style

I am using Office Classic 2 for Fonts.  This is the Arial font.  I don't know why, in the description of the Normal font, it says +Body.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on this.

Thank you!

Cross-References Won't Update

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 12:17 PM PDT

I am using Insert > Cross-references and selecting Heading as the Reference Type to create a cross-reference to an existing numbered section header. I use this several places in my document. Over the course of writing the document, the text may change in the numbered section header. When I update my references, either by right-clicking on the cross-reference and selecting Update Field or by doing a [Ctr] + [A] and then pressing [F9], the cross-references are not updated with the changed text. Aren't they supposed to?

If I create a bookmark for that section header and then create a cross-reference to that bookmark, the cross-references update properly if the heading text changes. Am I supposed to use this method for all my cross-references? Is so, why is there an option available to let me do it the first way I tried?

Word 2013 stopped printing the current page, it only prints page 1

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 11:47 AM PDT

For 2 users, Word 2013 will no longer print the correct current page when asked to do so.  There is no problem with the document(s) involved as they will print the correct current page on another user.  The issue is somehow with the user's settings/profile in Word.  If you highlight a selection, it will print that correctly, except without the headers and footers.  If you specify the section and page numbers, that also works (and the headers and footers come out OK).  I have deleted all the normal.dotm files from the computer and have deleted the Word Data key in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER|SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word.  The printer drivers are not at issue because the document prints for other users, with the same print drivers on the print server with no issues.  I would imagine that creating an entire new logon profile for the user, would solve the issue, but I would prefer not to go to that extreme, unless absolutely necessary.  I have also heard that the problem tends to reoccur, so hopefully there is an easier fix. 

One more question, which is about Microsoft Support.  Is there really no support for an organization with a 250 user MAK license? 

Word 2013 Doesn't Retain Style/Formatting When Converted To PDF

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 11:28 AM PDT

I've recently switched from Word 2007 to 2013 with the purchase of my Surface Pro 3. I write particular documents using a Style that I've created which includes a different margin (2.5" from the edge of the left page and 3" from the edge of the right page). The rest of the document is normal paragraphs from left to right margin. The font for the entire document is Courier New - there are no images, no graphs, etc. Just font.

When I Export or Save As a PDF, for some reason the Styled formatting does not retain in the PDF. It's as if Word 2013 allows for an extra character or two per line (I've noticed there's a difference between my 2007 and 2013 documents), but the PDF can't pick up on that. I know that sounds crazy, but that's what's happening. For example: if there is a Syle that includes 3 lines of text, in the PDF it will sometimes come out as 4 lines because a word(s) will be shifted down to the next line, Screws up an entire 110 page document.

Another thing I've noticed is that the margins on the bottom of the PDF sometimes appear to be larger. I am using a very basic document. I'm using 1" margins, 12pt Courier font, exact line spacing and everything is set to "keep lines together/keep with next" though I've tried it without those parameters as well to see if that at all contributed to the problem - it didn't. I've even tried opening the PDF in Word and that didn't help either.

I would really love if someone could help me figure this out as I've tried everything! All my settings are set to the same as what I used in 2007, I've tried with the 'Print to PDF' option, I've retyped 3-5 pages out again in blank documents, adding the Style after - nothing works. The PDF always comes out wrong. I've even tried my luck with the online chat with the Office team which was more frustrating than anything. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Microsoft Office- Word

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 11:27 AM PDT

I just purchased a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. I am having two problems: first I keep getting a bluescreen crash that shuts down everything and then reboots and second I just installed the one month free trial for office and used Word once and can't open it again. Any help would be appreciated.

WORD DOCS

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 10:12 AM PDT

Hi,

Hopefully someone out there can help me,

When ever I open up doc it opens up in word 2007 rather than 2010. It really is becoming painful now and it is impossible to get any support from Microsoft.

any ideas what's going on?

How can I copy the text of a field?

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 09:36 AM PDT

My document has a field that looks like this:

{ REF _Ref361389627 \# "'Item '0" \r \h }

The text it produces is "Item 5". I want to copy the text of this field, but when I highlight it (or even the entire line containing it) and copy it, then paste it elsewhere (a different application), instead of "{ REF _Ref361389627 \# "'Item '0" \r \h }" being pasted, I get "Item 5".

How can I copy the text of a field so I can paste it elsewhere?

Thanks.

Auto field update does not work after copying a document

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 09:21 AM PDT

I have created a document in Word 2003 that contains FIELD auto update language in the Visual Basic Editor.  This command works on my machine, but when I copy this document to another PC the FIELDS do not auto update when the document is opened.  I can manually update the field (right click on the field / UPDATE FIELD).  I have tried to delete and re-enter the VBE language but it does  not work.  The only difference seems to be that WORD on the second PC is from an Office Basic package and Word on the original PC is from Office Pro version.  All versions are 2003.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance...

Changing the default Save As location (Documents folder)

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 08:06 AM PDT

It seems that under WIndows 7, all Office apps default to the Documents system folder when opening a Save As window. Is there any way to change this folder so that it becomes (points to) a certain path, such as the root of D:\?

Problem with keying in specific lengths to adjust size of images/shapes

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 07:31 AM PDT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8DvGPsutM&feature=youtu.be

This video demonstrates the issue I'm facing.

Basically, I am trying to set specific dimensions for that grey rectangular frame but even when I key in the dimensions at the top right hand corner press enter or play around with the up/down arrows in each field, the size of the object does not change and I have to resort to dragging the 8 dots along the perimeter of the object to change the size of the object which doesn't help me as its hard to use that feature to help me resize that frame to the dimensions i desire.

Is this a bug? What can I do to make sure the object can be resized using the fields at the top right hand corner of the screen?

Thanks for the help.

Word for Ipad file shows mutliple authors that are all the same author

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 07:01 AM PDT

I am running word for Ipad and I have a file that shows 3 authors editing at the same time and all 3 authors are me.  I have attempted to delete the file by clearing the cache, resetting login credentials, restarting the Ipad etc. and to no avail.  The file cannot be deleted and still indicates that it is open for editing.  How to I remove this file or fix the issue with the multiple authors all being the same author.

Facing Maximization Problem in Word 2013

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 06:16 AM PDT

unable to Maximize Word 2013 Some Time


'Hidden' Macro - annoying pop-up!

Posted: 25 Jun 2014 03:06 AM PDT

I have a Word 2013 document that, when it opens, there is a small but annoying pop-up that asks for a input. If I press 'cancel' it goes away and everything is fine. But I would prefer that it never opened in the first place.

So, I opened Macro Manager and there are no macros in Normal.dot, Global or in the specific Word document.

I then looked for AutoOpen and AutoExec and can find nothing. However, if I start Word with a /m on the command line, I do not get the pop up - but I still cannot find the source as I would prefer to get rid of the problem rather than just preventing it operating.

So, i opened the document (cancelled the pop-up), selected all the text. Closed Word and reopened it, created a new document, pasted back in the text and saved it as a rtf.

I then closed and opened Word and opened the new rtf document. There was no pop-up. But I need this document as a Word template - so I saved it as a Word template, closed and reopened and the pop-up is back again! Aaaargh!

I have deleted my normal.dot several times and am utterly stumped.

I opened VBE when the document was open and, again, there is nothing that looks like a pop-up, a macro, a module or a function.

--------------------------

Just tried it all over again on a different W7 laptop with Word 2010. I opened an rtf version and there was no pop-up.

When I saved it as a template and reopened it, the pop-up reappeared!

This is driving me mad! I just don't understand it.

How to Merge a Chinese-Only Doc and Its Translated English-Only Doc into A Chinese-English Bilingual Paragraph-by-Paragraph Doc

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 11:38 PM PDT

I translated a source document in Chinese into a target English document with a CAT (computer-aided translation) tool OmegaT. So, there are two documents, one is a Chinese document, and the other is an English document with the same structure, format, etc. They are basically the same except they are in different languages.

Now I want to merge the two documents into a single document, in which Chinese and its translation go paragraph-by-paragraph. And for content in a cell of table, it is the same: Chinese comes first with English translation following it.

Here is an example: https://docs.zoho.com/file/mb9ur1aaa16a336b44f5b8785007aaaeaabc4

Is there any way to do it with a macro or something else other than copy and paste? Any response will be much appreciated. This problem has been existing for two years. 

MOS 2013 Study Guide Word-Practice Files

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 10:01 PM PDT

Hi,

I need to download practice files for MOS 2013 study guide Exam 77-418 MS Word. The following link does not work to download practice files,

http://aka.ms/mosWord2013/files

Can you please post the correct Link?

Thanks, 

MAAHMED

Center a mail to address in word 2013

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 08:51 PM PDT

Just curious about addressing envelopes in word.  I know that in Word 2007 you could create a text box then right click and in the window that opened up you could uncheck wrap text and check to change the size of the text box as you type.  This was a nice feature but I can't find a way to do that in Word 2013.  I know it's not a big deal but aesthetically I think envelopes look more businesslike when the mail to address always stays centered on the envelope.  Anybody got any hints on how to do this in Word 2013.  All advice appreciated.  Thanks

Manny

Envelopes won't print with Office 365

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 08:05 PM PDT

I am using Windows 8.1, 64 bit with Office 365 home.  Previously, with office 2013, had no problems printing envelopes.  Now even though the settings are right for #10 envelope with default fonts and colors, when I print no ink goes onto the envelope.  The printer prints everything else nicely.  I tried a different envelope printing program which works  well.  What settings may have changed?  How do I fix it? 

What I do.  I start a new document with addressees name, go to mailings, envelopes, fill in return address if not using the default, check the option setting so Legal size envelope, # 10 is selected, press print.  The printer sounds as if something is happening.  The envelope is expelled in the same manner it did when it printed but now has no ink on it. Prior to this problem I used Word 2013 and had set it to a custom print.  I may have changed to Office 365 before using the custom print. I have turned my printer off and on and rebooted my computer.  The printer is a Lexmark Pinnacle Pro 901. The firmware is the latest available.

RGB to make "Executive" theme color from word 2010 on 2013?

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 08:02 PM PDT

Hi,

Could anyone please provide the RGB values to recreate the "Executive" color scheme from Word 2010?

Thanks in advance!

Microsoft Word 2013 not saving document

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 07:45 PM PDT

Recently, when working on a word document, I have tried to save, but the progress bar at the bottom does not fill up (and therefore, I am afraid of closing the document for fear it has not actually saved). Occasionally, it will show a task manager, stating it is trying to save the recovery of the file I'm trying to save; I hit the X to make it go away, as I'm trying to save the document itself, so the auto-recovery is not needed.

Any thoughts?

Also: this document is heavy with modified headers and footers, so I would really not like to close the document and risk losing hours of work.

microsoft word

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 07:41 PM PDT

I am trying to do my assignment and everytime I press "insert" on my tool bar whilst im in word, the program says there is unknown problem and the program is shutting down. I need to insert a text box! 

When I paste a JPEG picture in Word document, "border line" appear on the right and bottom of image. Why?

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 07:32 PM PDT

I have been experiencing this annoying and frustrating problem with pasting JPEG images into my Word document.

When I paste the image, border line appear on the right and bottom of the image. Why?

I can live with it if the border line appear on all sides of the image. But having it on the right and bottom only is very annoying.

Microsoft Word Not SAving

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 05:21 PM PDT

Hello i have Microsoft Office 365 and every time I try saving a document on Microsoft Word my document closes and non of my progress is saved. I tried opening a file i saved a week ago and it does not open it. It just takes me back to the main window. The document appears to be saved on the left, but it never opens. My account is active how can i fix this problem, and is there a way to restart the program?

Create a new font via Private Character Editor?

Posted: 24 Jun 2014 03:40 PM PDT

I created an Alphabet style for a project - I now need to use it on my computer, and was hoping to use it on word. I have created all symbols via the Private Character Editor, and saved them - but would prefer not to need to copy paste the letters one at a time from the Character Map, and that is all I have found online. Is there someway I can create a new font using these characters?