Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - can not delete a word from a word document above the foot note

Microsoft Word - can not delete a word from a word document above the foot note


can not delete a word from a word document above the foot note

Posted: 24 May 2014 12:52 PM PDT

Hello

I have a letter and a word above the foot note section which I can not delete or choose in a word document.

Any advice?

Thanks

Miki

Insert Object - CSV file

Posted: 24 May 2014 10:54 AM PDT

Hello there,

I am trying to insert a CSV file in my word 2010 document.

I have tried it using both

'Insert Object - Create from File - Display as Icon' and

'Paste Special'

However in both scenarios, word is inserting CSV file as xls file - which messes up formatting of first column.

Here is the content of my CSV file:

"FILENAME";"DESCR"
"MyFile.pdf";"This is a sample pdf file"

When I try to open the CSV file after inserting it as an object in my word document -

Quotes goes missing for first column :-)

Can anyone please guide how can I insert my CSV file as text file which opens in notepad.

Thank you!

How to reset Column Defaults in Word 2010?

Posted: 24 May 2014 10:21 AM PDT

Very often, I use Word 2010's columns feature to reformat text into two columns, usually because I find it easier to read large quantities of text in columns. 

Each time I do this, I use Page Layout|Columns|More Columns to reset how the columns appear in two particulars:  First, I reset the space between columns from 0.5" to 0.2" and then I select "Line between."  For me, this is the optimal 2 column layout. 

However, I cannot find an option of that screen to make these the default settings for "Two Columns" (the easy choice on the dropdown list from Page Layout|Columns). 

Because I do this essentially every time I use columns, it seems to me there should be a way I can have Word 2010 simply apply these as the defaults when "Two Columns" is selected under "Page Layout|Columns."  But I cannot figure out how to do that.  On the screen presented under Page Layout|Columns|More (where I make these changes), I find no option for making these the default formatting choices for 2 columns.  I also tried looking under File|Options|Display and File|Options|Advanced, but didn't find a place to make these default changes. 

Is there a way I can set my Word 2010 so that, when I select "Page Layout|Columns|Two Columns" the two columns will be set with 0,2" spacing and a line between them?

Thanks,

Paul

Word freezes when using Find/Replace while connected via WiFi but NOT when connected by network cable. Similar problem with Outlook.

Posted: 24 May 2014 10:20 AM PDT

This is just so bizarre.  I have a Lenovo laptop.  Just 2 years old and pretty powerful.  I do high-end CAD work so it's a powerful laptop.  32G RAM, etc. Using Office 2013 on Windows 7.

When I am plugged in via an Ethernet cable to the Internet, Word and all of office works beautifully. As soon as I am either offline or using a WiFi connection, Word freezes up when using the Find/Replace command.  This doesn't seem to happen with any other dialog box.

I have tried with an existing file and with a new document. I have tried with the laptop on a power source and off.

Similarly, I find that when I try to open Outlook when on WiFi, it also freezes. In both cases if I run Word or Outlook in safe mode, they work just fine.  I can find and replace.

This seems to have started when I created a new family mail account at outlook.com so I could have a family calendar. I have had a personal live.com account for a long time and never saw a problem there. Can there be an issue with Exchange ActiveSync? Does Word continually try to connect to my account?

While safe mode is work around, it isn't great if I want to be productive.  I work from home so I can plug in in my studio.  But if I want to work outside on a nice sunny day, everything becomes problematic.

Is this because my Ethernet connection is super fast but my WiFi is not (like when I am out of town and using a Verizon Jetpack for a connection)?  My wireless adapter's driver is up-to-date.

Anyone have a clue?

Chris

Address Book

Posted: 24 May 2014 09:11 AM PDT

How to access my address book in Office Starter 10.

aligning radio buttons

Posted: 24 May 2014 08:55 AM PDT

My inserted radio button has its bottom aligned with the line it is in, instead of center aligned.

When having inserted a radio button, in design mode, right-clicking the radio button, choosing OptionButton Object > Edit, I get ancrosshair which I thought, indicated the ability to move the object around freely, but when I try to do so, the moved object jumps back to its original position after some seconds.

Another problem is the alignment of the radio button itself and its text.

Any ideas?

Customizations lost

Posted: 24 May 2014 08:25 AM PDT

Just recently, I have realized that Word no longer opens up the way I have set up (Body Text, 12 pt font, web view display), but the default way. Also, my tweaks of Headings (1, 2, & 3) are gone—back to default. The first thing I noticed was that a macro to print just one copy of the current document, on my QAT, is no longer working. I get an error message that it cannot be found.

 

OK what do I do now? Is it possible that my template has been deleted or corrupted? Or what?????

Microsoft Word

Posted: 24 May 2014 08:06 AM PDT

Hello,

I am a student studying for my A levels which start in less than 2 weeks. I have Windows 8.1, and also Microsoft Student 2013. I went to finish off my revision notes and Microsoft Word will not open at all, nor will any of the other programmes. I have checked my files, and none of them are corrupt. I try and open a fresh document and it will not even open! Please can someone help me?

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Size of converted files

Posted: 24 May 2014 08:00 AM PDT

I am producing a travel eBook using Word 2010 with text and a quantity of photographs - I have formated the entire text and have compressed the entire .jpeg photographic content to 96pixels for each photograph within the book in accordance with the required proceedure. In order to upload my files to the eBook distributor in Word.doc I have to produce a file size no greater than 10 MB- Question - The total file size in Word .docx formatt is 5.74 MB - When I convert to Word .doc file format ( Word 97/2003 ) the file size increases by a factor of around Five ( x5) to 27.8 MB - Why is this? And is it possible to further compress the Word .doc file to below the required 10 MB ? URGENT HELP REQUIRED!

Reactivate Word 2010

Posted: 24 May 2014 07:14 AM PDT

HOW DO I REACTIVATE MY MICROSOFT WORD 2010?

***Title added for clarity

***How to create a FORMATTING template for Microsoft Word 2013?***

Posted: 24 May 2014 07:09 AM PDT

Hello there,

I am formatting a bunch of large Word documents, and am at the last stage - changing the format, i.e. font, indents, bold/italics, etc...

I have to do this for all 9 HUGE files. 

==> Is there a way for me to edit one piece of my work and then use that format template for the rest of the documents? That will save me DAYS of work.

So for example can I edit one half of my document with the exact indents, boldness, font size, etc, manually, and apply that to the other documents so I can just copy/paste for example into that format?

Thank you,

Unable to save

Posted: 24 May 2014 07:08 AM PDT

Doug.

thanks for replying.

I have been using the Word 2010 for years. It's on a new computer. It will not let me save. On my wife's side of the computer, she can save all daylong.

any suggestions?

I have office 2013. In tidying up I uninstalled office 2003 thinking it redundant, and now I cannot access Word 2013. I do have a product key. what should I do3

Posted: 24 May 2014 05:04 AM PDT

I have office 2013.     In tidying up I uninstalled office 2003 thinking it redundant, and now I cannot access Word 2013. I do have a product key. what should I do

How do we give SpellCheck corrections or additions?

Posted: 24 May 2014 04:59 AM PDT

I love Microsoft Answers, and appreciate ho ready so many people are to help when people get stuck or have questions.

Sometimes, however, you (I) want to give feedback that doesn't need a whole discussion,as it is something that has been missed by the programmers and just needs adding in - after evaluation of course.

For example (this is just one of many I could submit): the word "undwear" is incorrect, but SpellCheck seems unaware of the correction which is "underwear".

I don't believe this is a case where use of the custom dictionary is appropriate, and would rather let the SpellCheck team know about this so they can take appropriate action.

The 2013 version of SpellCheck is significantly better than previous versions in the detection of errors, even if I don't always agree with some of the suggested corrections (95% of which are spot on). I do quite a bit of CopyEditing and this latest version is a pleasure to use, apart from some really irritating technical glitches.

I would love to be able to contribute to SpellCheck becoming even better.

Any thoughts?

cannot open microsoft office

Posted: 24 May 2014 01:56 AM PDT

I cannot open microsoft office.  I get an error that says: SOMETHING WENT WRONG, WE COULDN'T START YOUR PROGRAM.  PLEASE TRY STARTING IT AGAIN.  IF IT WON'T START, TRY REPAIRING OFFICE FROM 'PROGRAMS AND FEATURES' INT HE CONTROL PANEL.

i HAVE REFRESHED..REBOOTED..TURNED OFF...RESTARTED MY COMPUTER...I have did a system recovery point to prior to the time i started getting this error..nothing has worked...not sure what o do from here..i have my disssertation in progress saved in microsoft word..and many other important files.  thank you for your assistance int his matter

rita sell

dwm memory leak with Office 2013 on a dual monitor system

Posted: 24 May 2014 01:06 AM PDT

When I have a window from the office 2013 suite active on my secondary monitor, it causes dwm.exe to use far more memory than it should, and when working with large files (eg, a 60-page report or a 60-slide presentation), this often leads to windows detecting low memory and then automatically disabling aero. I notice that this issue only occurs while the document is stationary - if I move it around on the screen or scroll up/down within a document/slide show, the memory usage will drop considerably (to close to the base usage, around 50MB) before rising again.

Is there a known fix for this issue (apart from just not using office on my secondary monitor - I often have two office windows open at once etc.)?

I have 8gb RAM installed on a system with Windows 7 64x, and aero is disabled when dwm.exe reaches about 1.5GB ram usage.

Word 2013: Welcome Back Pop-up Window?

Posted: 23 May 2014 08:00 PM PDT

In Word 2013, when I reopen a document that I have been working on, I get this
pop-up window that says "welcome back, etc, etc".  I don't really care for it
and am wondering if there is a way to shut the pop-up off?

Thanks for any insights/suggestions.

gumboman

Changing system table formats

Posted: 23 May 2014 07:56 PM PDT

I want to link data from Access to a Word document with a certain table format.

The problem is that I can only get system-defined table formats for my table.  None of these work for my situation.  And, every time I update the link, the table reverts to the system defined table format even if I change the format manually.

I tried defining my own table format (but it won't save as a system format and hence I cannot use it in the "Insert Database/Table AutoFormat" window).

I tried redefining a system-defined table format (but it does not seem to save those changes).

Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks


Using bookmarks in word 2010 email mailmerge

Posted: 23 May 2014 06:48 PM PDT

I have looked extensively on the internert for instructions for using bookmarks in a word 2010 email mailmerge without success. I have a news letter with 5-15 topics on a daily basis. I would like to be able to have an index at the top with "click here" after each one so that users can navigate to any topic and back to the index easily. Is this possible? If so, How?

Thanks!

Ben

Footer "blue dotted line" won't move down in Word document

Posted: 23 May 2014 05:04 PM PDT

I have a pleading (ruled and numbered paper) and I cannot get it to type to a certain point at the foot (line 28).  No matter what I change (using the ruler or the margins or page layout alignment (top) or "footer from bottom" measurements), nothing will get that blue dotted "footer" line to move down.  The footer itself will move down, but that does not help me type past the point I need.  Somebody did set up the caption of the pleading with columns and section break.  I usually just use a table.  I am wondering if this is the problem but it would be a huge deal to change it from columns to a table as everything in the documents starts to go wonky when I do that.

Does anyone know how to get that darn blue dotted line to move down with the footer text like it normally does?

Thanks.

Any smart way to chang text after : (colon) from italic to normal ?

Posted: 23 May 2014 03:56 PM PDT

Hi,

Considering the following example:

SCOTT, P. Institutional World: An Alienated Life. New York: Penguin (2010).

Is there any way to change "An Alienated Life" from italic to normal using any smart way?

At the end, just Institutional World: should be italic. Example:

SCOTT, P. Institutional World: An Alienated Life. New York: Penguin (2010).

The issue is that I have 20 pages which sums around 300 references like that and I would like to select the pages and run some command, a macro, a smart find/replace that somehow could identify=>

1- if there is text in italic

2- if this text has a colon : in between the words in italic

3- then change what is in italic and after the colon : to normal text

Such kind of magic would change my life :)

Many thanks!

Carlos

MS Word VBA to insert copied portion of a document below the current page

Posted: 23 May 2014 03:53 PM PDT

Hello,

I have a macro that copies a body of text and places it into a new section at the "bottom" of the current document.  (See SAMPLE CODE below.)

The macro is connected to a Macro Button that is part of a locked MS Word 2010 macro enabled template.

I am attempting to create a similar macro that will copy a body of text and place into a new section "directly below" the section that contains the macro button.  Can I modify the existing macro to do that?

I assume I need a way to have the macro set the insertion point below the macro button so that the page will paste in the proper location.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

------------------------

SAMPLE CODE

Sub CreateNewProgressNotePage()

'Code below unlocks the original document
 If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType <> wdNoProtection Then
    ActiveDocument.Unprotect
 End If
 
'Code below selects the text between two Bookmarks in the document
 Dim oRng As Word.Range
 Set oRng = ActiveDocument.Range
    oRng.Start = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("P_Start").Range.End
    oRng.End = ActiveDocument.Bookmarks("P_End").Range.Start
    oRng.Select
   
' Code below will Unhide the selection
With Selection.Font
        .Hidden = False
End With
   
' Code below copys the selected text
 Selection.Copy
 
' Code below will Hide the selection again
With Selection.Font
        .Hidden = True
End With

' Code below navigates to the end of the document and creates a section break
    Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory
    Selection.InsertBreak Type:=wdSectionBreakNextPage

 
' Code below pastes what was copied earlier
 Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdFormatOriginalFormatting)
 
' Code below relocks the original document
  ActiveDocument.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
 
' Code below navigates to the End of the Document

    Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdStory
    Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdScreen, Count:=1
 
 
End Sub