Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - Word 2010: Select Word-Only, Without Any Spaces

Microsoft Word - Word 2010: Select Word-Only, Without Any Spaces


Word 2010: Select Word-Only, Without Any Spaces

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 02:32 PM PST

Here is the situation that annoys me more often than not. I click on a word to copy and paste. I want ONLY that word, without the space after it. I know, it is useful sometimes, but rarely to me.

I copy one word from one document and paste it to another document. Word 2010 automatically expands the word by adding one space at the end. The quirk is serious when I work with HTML pages. Even when I copy a group of words, like a URL, Word 2010 grinds my nerves with its over zeal. It adds one space to the left and one space to the left! That's catastrophic! The web address is not recognizable.

 

I've had this problem with all versions of MS Word I remember of. I know, I go to Settings, but the process is cumbersome. Incredible as it sounds, it doesn't even work! I start Options, Advanced, Use Smart Copy and Paste, click Settings, and then I deselect that stubborn Adjust word spacing automatically. Nothing changes! Sometimes, the Options come back to their previous settings after I restart Word. Sounds like the bullish software mocks me…

 

Anyway, is there a way to set this kind of preference without resorting to macros?

 

Thank you in advance.

 

Ion Saliu,

Writer At-Large


shaperange inline shape conversion

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 02:14 PM PST

I need to be able to convert ole embedded objects from shaperange to inline shapes and from inline shapes to shaperange.

The question is how to do it when you do not have the application installed

Horizontal scroll or scroll lock not working in Office 2010/Win 7

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 02:06 PM PST

I have a Logitech g700 mouse that has a horizontal scroll option on the wheel. It does not work for Word or Onenote 2010 or Wordpad or desktop explorer. It does work for Notepad, Chrome and Explorer. This is the case with or without the Logitech software. And the case for my older MS 5000 mouse. Using the scroll-lock option and arrow keys gives the same results. But Excel 2010 allows horizontal scroll on both the wheel and the scroll-lock (!) 

 

What gives? [Yes, I've talked to Logitech support...you guessed it: they said "go ask MS"]

 

thanks,

 

Win 7 x64 SP1 (up to date)

Office 2010 doesn’t recognize the word “symbology“

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 01:20 PM PST

It seems strange that the word "symbology" would be left out of the MS dictionary.  "Symbology" exists in the Webster dictionary and while not commonly used it doesn't seem like a fringe word or a technical term used in a niche area.  Just wondering if it was left out or maybe a bug exists that doesn't allow it to be recognized. 

On a related note, Office wants to correct "Symbology" to Zymology: a science that deals with fermentation

Word restores/pops-up one of the previously-minimized open documents when opening a new document. How can I stop/prevent this?

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 01:18 PM PST

This is very, very annoying when frequently opening/closing documents when there are one or more already open/minimized documents (which are not grouped on the task bar, for easier switching back and forth, etc.).

The last time or two that I migrated to new versions of Word on a new PC, the problem didn't occur, and then it returned after a few days. It took are a few weeks this last time when migrating to Office 2013, which I though had at long last fixed this.

I've done lots of searching and found no solutions, despite going through lots of postings on this problem (which are described with slightly differing terms/phrasing, which makes searching a challenge).

Older supposed fixes (like removing "/dde" switch from word 8 & 12 registry entries for the Word command line for opening a file) aren't applicable.

On the earlier Microsoft forum discussions I've found, Microsoft appears to be totally unresponsive after running people through the same elementary checks. Very frustrating to read through a bunch of dead-end threads.

Does anyone else have any new information on this issue?

The left edge of my Reviewing Pane extends past the edge of the document window

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 12:23 PM PST

When I turn on change tracking and show the reviewing pane, the left edge extends past the left edge of the window so I can't see the first few characters.  I've tried opening and closing it, moving it from vertical to horizontal and back, minimizing and maximizing the Word window, changing the view and zoom level of the document, nothing changes.  The left edge is still obscured.

 

This hasn't always been the case.  I've used the reviewing pane a lot in the past, and have never had this problem until today.

Email Document Drirectly from Word 2007

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 11:48 AM PST

I have Win7 pro and Office 2007 pro. I want to email word documents directly from word, using my hotmail account, and I've enabled the email shortcut in the word rapid access toolbar. It doesn't seem to be working after configuring as follows:

-Installed (and updated) Outlook Hotmail Connector
-Configured my hotmail account in Outlook, using advanced options and selecting Outlook Hotmail Connector

I don't normally use Outlook, but simply access hotmail from a browser, so I don't know Outlook very well. Is there something else I need to do to make this work? Can someone provide me a link how to set this up?

Problem with captions in Word 2010 Pro on Windows 7 Pro

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 11:20 AM PST

Just today, during final editing of a large document with many cross references of headings and captions (tables, figures) I realised that as I inserted a new caption (table or figure, it does not matter) all the previous captions were modified according to the latest one. If it was "figure" everything prior to that became a "figure" as well. If later I added a "table" all previous captions (which were turned into "figure") turned into "table" as well, and so on.

I reopened the document, tried to see if there was any update to apply (unfortunately none, as I regularly apply updates), tried to open and repair the document (again no success). Apart from the table of contents, I also have a list of figures and a list of tables, one of which is empty while the other one contains all of them (figures and tables, depending on the latest caption with common numbering).

The document is large with enough (not a lot) of pictures and a size of approx. 20MB. Until a total number of 20 captions (again approx.) everything seemed to be in order and figures were separated from tables with different numbering. Any ideas?

Inserting a Caption Issues

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 11:14 AM PST

I am having an issue when inserting captions in to a document. I want the caption field to point to the section header, displaying the section number with a letter following. I am able to get this to work perfectly, however, every time I add another caption on another image, the previously completed captions reset to Balloon Style and will not register the section header. This is becoming increasingly agitating. We are using the section header formatting style. I am using the multi-level list option for numbering. Below in bold is the message that comes up on the captions when it resets. I tried changing my formatting style to the Balloon Text the caption defaults back to but receive the same error message when adding another caption. I am at a loss on this. Please let me know if you would like more information. 

Figure Error! No text of specified style in document..d

Word 2013 not working...incompatibility with another program

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 10:33 AM PST

I suddenly am unable to access Word 2013.  I get a message that there is an incompatible program, but I cannot get any information about what program is incompatible with my Word and I don't recall downloading any new programs.  My 2013 PPT and Excel are working.  My Word was working through Sunday November 10, when I shut down my computer.  When I started up the computer on November 19 (it was not on during the interim time) Word didn't work.

Please advise.

Thanks.


Right Tab Stop to the right of the Right Indent - Not Working

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 10:08 AM PST

You used to be able to place a right tab stop outside of the right indent, so that the tab actually appeared on the ruler to the right of the right indent. This was how a table of contents would be formatted so that if the heading title was longer than one line, the text would only go as far right as the right indent as it wrapped onto multiple lines, and then the page number would align farther right of the heading text at the tab stop. It now appears that Word 2013 (when it is not in Compatibility Mode) cannot recognize a tab stop if it is to the right of the right indent, so I cannot figure out how to get this alignment if the heading title is longer than one line.

 

The only way I can find that you can is to use manual returns at the end of each line of text with a dot leader tab on the last line, like this example:

 

   Really long heading title that is tremendously long so it goes longer than one line of text (RETURN)

   and in fact just keeps going on and on so that it spans multiple lines in the document (RETURN)

   instead of all fitting on one line of the document……………………………………………………………..............……….…3

 

How do I create an alignment like this within the paragraph settings without manually adding returns?

BEX - SHELL32.DLL - WINWORD.EXE

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 10:02 AM PST

I get this error message when I try to save sometimes in Word and program crashes. It is not every time but several times per day. 

I have tried using Microsoft FixIt, and changing DEP settings but it does not work. 


Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: WINWORD.EXE
Application Version: 15.0.4551.1001
Application Timestamp: 5234103e
Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18222
Fault Module Timestamp: 51f1d731
Exception Offset: 0005d452
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 00000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
LCID: 1033
skulcid: 1033

Default Settings in Word 2013

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 09:37 AM PST

Hi,

How do I set Word to open in Portrait orientation by default, it used to , but now it always opens in horizontal orientation.?


Also how do I set the default Font (Arial), Font Size (12 Point) and Colour (Blue)?


Regards,


Robin

FIND/REPLACE IN A WORD FILE

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 09:35 AM PST

I need to replace the abbrevation MSDS with SDS in 2,000 files saved in a Word folder.  Is there a search/replace tool that will do this?  I don't have time to open each file and manually replace MSDS with SDS.  I have Windows 7 platform.

Agonisingly slow typing in Microsoft Word 2013

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 09:12 AM PST

I've just bought Word 2013. Typing is agonisingly slow. I've seen people have problems with this elsewhere and it appears there is no solution? Can this be right? At the moment I can type almost a paragraph before the cursor catches up with me and I don't type that fast. It's getting ridiculous. Seems to be worse in a table, which seems to be a specific problem that others  have had. Is there any solution?

Microsoft Office Word won't start up.

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 08:53 AM PST

It says that it's updating and that it "shouldn't take long". It's been updating for two days now, and nothing has changed. What do I do to fix this and how long will it take? 

how to open docs from email with MSO Starter 2010

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 08:25 AM PST

I get the same message but when opening docs from an email, you cannot right click to change the properties or to save it on the computer.  when I follow the prompt to register the product key from the laptop which has the starter program, I get an error.  How can I save the doc from my email to be able to open it with the starter program?

Office- something went wrong. We weren't able to start your program.

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 08:10 AM PST

This is the third time this has happened this month when I have tried to open Microsoft Office University/365/whatever it's called. Point is, it tells me to go to the control panel and fix it. Quick repair doesn't work, and the online repair won't even try to fix the problem, and yes I do have internet connection. What should I do so that I can open office and hopefully not experience this problem in the future? 

How to ungrade justified alignment option in word file?

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 06:29 AM PST

Hi,
Recently I downloaded an university file-'word doc', in that most of the option are graded. When I type the sentences in file, I can't 'justify align' it. Could anybody let me know, how can I ungrade this option?

Regards,
Prajwal

Emailing Microsoft Word document for signature(s).

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 06:17 AM PST

I have a Word document I need two others to sign in addition to myself. 

I have inserted the three needed signature lines and signed my part. 

 

When I go to attach the doc to an email, it says all signatures will be stripped. 

Is there a way to route this doc for signature via email and retain each signature?

 

Thx, Jon

Help with a "text box"

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 06:11 AM PST

I am working on a document that was set up with, what I call, text boxes.  If you think of a document that contains the terms and conditions of a contract, but the wording does not go totally across the page, but stops midway, that's what I mean.  It's like there are two big columns on the page and the information for item 1 is about 5 lines, then item 2 underneat that, 10 lines, item 3 underneath that, etc etc.  The wording goes to the center of the page only.  Then item 7 jumps back up to the top of the page and the cycle starts again.  I hope I am making sense.  My problem is, the box that the words are contained in is fixed.  I need to be able to expand the size of the box to add some additional verbiage.  When I try to just insert, the new words just type over, it doesn't insert.

 

Anyone know how I can fix this?

 

Thanks so much.

Doc file(generated with a tool using a template) setting is getting changed in Office 2010

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 05:46 AM PST

Earlier we were generating some doc file with a tool using a template. When we are generating doc file in the system with Office 2003 it is coming in single page. But when we are generating the same in the system with Office 2010, in some system it is coming in single page in some system it is getting split into two pages, which should come in single page.  But in print preview it is coming in single page for those system also. As we are going to upgrade to Office 2010 we need to fix this issue. Kindly provide us the required information to fix this issue.

Correct

Incorrect

Cannot find heading in cross reference dialog (Word 2013)

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 05:36 AM PST

Hello,

I cannot find certain headings in the cross reference dialog box. After reading community and support posts and performing web searches, I'm now asking this question. I have tried a few thing to see if I can resolve the problem:
  • I have spot checked some of the missing headings and they appear to use the included headings styles.
  • I have selected the text of a missing heading to see if using a different heading style leads to an appearance in the cross reference dialog box.
None of this helps. The headings that are missing in the cross reference dialog box do show up in the headings listing side pane and do show up in the document's table of contents. Any suggestions on how to debug this problem?

Thanks.

Imbedded chart in a Word document

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 05:17 AM PST

I have a Word document that is created using Mail Merge. At the bottom of this document I have totals for certain products that are imported using the mail merge program. Within this document I have a chart that displays these prices in chart form, however I have to put the prices in by hand on the excel portion of the imbedded chart. Is there a way for the excel portion to read the prices that were imported during the mail merge?

Unable to save a word document (2013)

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 04:46 AM PST

Hi,

When I try to save the changes into existing word file, i'm unable to do it. When i press the save -button, the system goes into save as -mode. When I give the same name or different name and press the save button it come back asking the name. This is an ongoing loop going around and around withouot end. Well, it ends when i close the document without saving, hoping that in anothet time it will save the changes. And this happens if i try to use save as -form to save the document. There is no way to save any changes into the documents. And no, I am not using the read-only-document form so that is not the problem.

Any suggestions what might be causing this problem and how to fix this?

Br Maria

Adding column in table resizes other columns

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 02:25 AM PST

I prepare a table with custom size columns according to my requirement. But whenever I add a column it resizes all other columns and then I have to set the columns all over again.

In Table Properties, I keep Preferred width unchecked.

Please help me to avoid this problem because I use a lot of tables in my Word documents and I face this problem a lot.

Problem printing in Windows 8.1

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 02:22 AM PST

I have just upgraded to Windows 8.1.  My two printers have shrunk and wrongly centered Word 2013 documents.  I am in the middle of printing a newsletter so am desperate.  I rang Microsoft support, got transferred to a French answerphone, it rang off.  I am not allowed to ring again.


Update:  I have transferred my Word documents to my laptop Windows 7, attached the printers, and now am printing OK - but still need to know why Windows 8.1 is not printing corectly.


Update 2:  I converted word to a PDF, as suggested in one post, and it still prints small. 


Eureka:  I found hidden parameters in the printer profiles that had set paper size to letter.  I have changed these to A4 and now everything is working OK.  No problems any longer.


Windows 7 product key?????

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 01:59 AM PST

hello,

I have recently purchased Office 365 university and have completed the download successfully and it works fine, but yet when i try and open documents from my uni page it asks me to enter a product key for Windows 7 and it says that i only have 25 chances to open until i to renew my windows 7..
sooo how does that work?? My office 365 is only 2 days old so i know its not expired.. plss help ive got exams next week and this thing is not helping..

Trial subscription to Office 365 Home Premium

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 01:24 AM PST

I had a trial subscription to Office 365 Home Premium which has now expired but all my Word docs are now in Corel.  I want to put them back into Word - I was using Office Professional Plus 2010. Please can anyone help?

Composing and Printing.

Posted: 20 Nov 2013 12:54 AM PST

Hello,

I have to compose a document that was initially hand drawn on a 20 x 20 inch sheet (and it fits it completely), a time table;  Now, we got two different paper sizes one is A4 & the other is abit smaller than the legal page that's 8.5 x 13 inches. I'm trying to compose this document on MS Word 2007, How do I format the page so that it fits it completely?Should I try composing it in MS Excel maybe? I have an HP Laset Jet 1300 PCL6 printer running on a windows XP machine.

Please and Thankyou 

Not Responding

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 05:24 PM PST

I use Word everyday, a lot. I'm forever seeing "Not Responding", as I wait and I wait and I wait . . . .Why is Microsoft Word not responding on a more than regular basis? Thx

 

 

Moved from Windows 7 Programs Forum.

microsoft works suite 2006

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 05:23 PM PST

I  purchased  this  in  2006 .  it  came  with  6  titles/disks.  the  only  thing  I  use  or  need  is  the  title / disk  with  microsoft  word  2002  on  it.  I  am  looking  to  purchase  a  new  computer.  can  i  install  this  disk  with  microsoft  word  2002  on  it ,  into  my  new  computer ?

Uninstalled 365 2013 and install 2007 - word not working for Quickbook

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 04:31 PM PST

I installed Office 365 2013 and Quickbook.  Then uninstalled 365 and installed Office 2007.  After that the Quickbook cannot find Word.  How do I fix this?

Sharing Quick Parts

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 03:57 PM PST

I've made several useful quick parts that I want to share with my colleagues. They're currently saved in my normal.dotm. I've considered saving my normal.dotm as a .dot template and putting it in a networked folder, and pointing everyone's Word startup folder to that location. And I've considered saving my normal.dotm as a .dot template and emailing it to my colleages, but I'm not sure how they'd then make the quick parts from the template available to all their documents.

What is the easiest way to share quick parts? Am I on the right track?

And here's a subsidiary question: I recently tested out changing the location of the word startup folder for a colleague, and noticed that some (not all) of the quick parts had formatting changes. Any idea why that happened?

Get rid of em dash followed by a period at the end of a line.

Posted: 19 Nov 2013 03:53 PM PST

Hello, fellow Word users,

I need a little help with a query that I can't figure out. I need to get rid of em dashes at the end of lines. The em dashes are followed by a period. Like this: —.  I tried with ^+ which finds all the em dashes but I'm struggling to find only the ones at the end of a line followed by a period. In the wildcard list I don't see something like "end of line". Just "end of word". I tried: ^+> but it doesn't produce any results. Do you have any suggestion for me? Right now my only work around is to do it manually.  Thanks for any ideas you might have. Cheers.