Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - Word maximizes taskbar windows when a document is opened

Microsoft Word - Word maximizes taskbar windows when a document is opened


Word maximizes taskbar windows when a document is opened

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 02:25 PM PDT

Several weeks ago, I discerned a frustrating, aberrant behavior in Word 2010. I have tried every remedy I know and scoured the internet to no avail. The aberrancy occurs when several Word document windows are minimized in the Taskbar. When a new document is then opened, Word resurrects (maximizes) several — and sometimes all — of the minimized documents. Now the screen is cluttered with documents awakened from their Taskbar sleep, documents with no business being on the screen and that must be re-minimized.


The following do not influence the aberrancy:

   • whether documents are docx or docm

   • whether documents are opened by shortcuts or directly in the File Manager

   • whether windows from other applications are open or minimized (i.e. the aberrancy occurs only with Word documents


The only thing I find that affects the aberrancy is changing a "Word Options" setting via "File > Options > Advanced > Display". When "Show all windows in the Taskbar" is unchecked, the aberrant behavior stops. Along with that however, all the Word windows — except for the active one — disappear from the screen and the Taskbar, something that's unacceptable for me.


I've used Word for longer than a decade but rarely needed multiple open and/or minimized windows until recently. Conceivably, the behavior is normal, was there along and I was just too dumb to perceive it. It's also possible that I inadvertently changed some setting that triggered this. In hopes the aberrancy can be eliminated by any means, I readily accept due humiliation if I've done something stupid.


Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

my trial of word is not working. then as microsoft said it was looking for the problem, I lost it.. Help

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 01:59 PM PDT

My trial of Word is not working. Then as Microsoft said it was looking for the problem, I lost it all together. Help.

"Red flag" device in Word

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 12:08 PM PDT

I have a word-usage folder containing 26 files. Each file contains many single words beginning with one of the letters of the alphabet.

 

In writing Word documents I'd like to run in the background a 'red flag' device to tell me when I have used a word that is listed in the usage folder.

Is there a way I can make a 'red flag' device? Thanks. 

windows suite 2002

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 12:01 PM PDT

If anyone can help me figure this out i would be most grateful...I have windows suite 2002..in my word program I have been writing and saving a story for some time.. one day i accidently pressed a button on accident..and i am not sure which one, and about 60 pages just disappeared.  and i can't find them ..they were saved already and i cant figure this out ..can someone tell me what i did?  Ususally when i delete something it asks me if i am sure i want it deleted... and this did not come up..where are my pages..??? if anyone can help me ..i would be very thankful  ..

 

thank you

Desperate

Use keyboard to expand AutoCorrect Options context menu

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 11:47 AM PDT

When you paste text from another application, you can press and release the Ctrl key to expand the Paste Options context menu which automatically appears beneath the pasted text.

Is there a similar key command to expand the AutoCorrect Options context menu when Word has changed some text?

Stop Windows 8 touch-screen keyboard from popping up?

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 11:24 AM PDT

When I use the touchscreen on my Windows 8 laptop on Microsoft Word 2013 to scroll up or down the touch-screen keyboard keeps popping up, and I was wondering how would you disable it from automatically popping up everytime?

Office Home & Business 2013 on Asus S400C continually crashes when opening/printing etc.

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 11:23 AM PDT

Hi,

 

I have the above problem. I have disabled all add-ins under the 'file', 'options' route - as advised by many forums - I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, also as advised by forums. I don't have Aabbyy. My printer is a Samsung SCX-3405W. I've also uninstalled and reinstalled it, but the same problem keeps occuring. As soon as I try and print, Word crashes. Potential issues I can see:

 

- I have three versions of Microsoft SQL Server

- I have six versions of Microsoft Visual C + +

- Although I have a product key for Microsoft Office Home & Business 2013 (purchased and downloaded online) it doesn't appear in my Microsoft Account, where it still says my trial subscription of 365 has expired and needs to be renewed. The email address I purchased it with is the same as my account, so I don't know why it's not showing there

 

Does anyone have any advise for this specific issue that might be of help (I have already trawled through all of the generic response forums, which haven't come up with any solutions)?

 

Many thanks,

 

 

Landscape on iPad

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 10:57 AM PDT

I just signed up for Office 365 University and I"m installing Office Mobile on my iPad.  I know it is basically an iPhone app, but I can't seem to get it to work in landscape orientation on my Pad.  Is this a design issue or am I doing something wrong?  It works in landscape on my iPhone.

Word 2013 has encountered an error

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 10:46 AM PDT

I purchased word 2013 about six weeks ago, and all was going well. But, since yesterday, word 2013 says it will have to close because of an error. It offered me two options: the quick fix and the not-so-quick fix. I opted for the quick fix, but it would not finish. It said it should not take long, but after 2 hours nothing was happening. So I logged out and then tried again, this time using the other method. After an hour of this it is on step 1 of 4. Please can I know how long this is going to take?
Catherine

My true DATE CREATED properties changed when I added tags to my MS Word 2010 docs (I did it in batch via MS Explorer)

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 09:54 AM PDT

I have 400 documents. I want to add various tags to each to make searching easier. I selected all 400 in MS Explorer view and went to their 'collective' Properties and then >> Details.

Under the TAGS field I entered a value and pressed >> APPLY.

Now all 400 are correctly showing the new tag value, but the DATE CREATED has changed to today (when I added the tag value).

I neeeeed the original DATE CREATED. 

Please help!

Unspecified Error /word/document.xml Line: 2 Column: 19752

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 09:11 AM PDT

I was working on my program I saved the file and it crashed when I tried to reopen it it said Unspecified error line 2 column 19752

I don't have TOC or XE in the file. Open and repair doesn't work.

How do I find Line 2 column 19752 in the XML file?

Help me!! please

My file is below.




Control-Backspace deletes previous word AND the preceding space - why?

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 08:08 AM PDT

This miniscule change from Office 2010 is surprisingly irritating when trying to type a document.  Any time I wish to rephrase or retype something and I use Ctrl-Space to delete the previous word, it also deletes the space immediately preceding the word I wanted to delete.  This breaks the flow of typing, as I'm required to always hit the spacebar before typing my correction.  In the frequent occurrence that I forget (due to a higher typing/thought/dictation speed), I'm left with multiple conjoined words, which then must be manually split.  This behavior is counter-intuitive, inconsistent (no program - IE, Firefox, the Windows 8.1 searchbox, Notepad - behaves this same way), and forces the same action (adding a space before continuing to type) a very high percentage of the time when this can be, should be, and was automatic.  Someone screwed up the boundary conditions in a loop...

No, it's not a "crucial" bug, but it's maddening when I encounter it and must mitigate it manually on the order of dozens of times per document/editing session.  Even more irritating is that this changed from 2010's "normal" operation to do this.

My questions: Is there a way to revert the behavior without reverting to Office 2010?  Was this behavior introduced intentionally?

Highlighting multiple fields

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 08:00 AM PDT

I am writing a book in Word 2003.  It has 36 chapters, and I have decided to use a different font for the headings.  Is there any way to change all of them at the same time?

Word 2013 appearance messed-up

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 07:35 AM PDT

I've recently downloaded and installed Office 2013. When I started using Word, it works smooth and fine.
But suddenly something unpleasant occurred: the whole appearance of Word turns into a scrambled-egg.


So I quit and start over. It works fine, but for a few second later the same thing happened.
Not only the spreadsheet, but also the toolbar, the file menu, etc. suffer the same thing.
I quit and start over again, the problem still there.


I've tried to repair this via control panel, but after rebooting the problem still there.
Is it because of my machine? But office 2010 just works fine prior to this.

Thanks for your assistance. I really need this fixed immediately for doing my assignments.

Linked (paragraph and character) dimmed in Modify Style

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 07:29 AM PDT

When I modify a Paragraph style via the Modify Style dialog by changing Paragraph to Linked (paragraph and character) in the Style based on drop down, and save it, I note that the new style type, Linked (paragraph and character) is dimmed. If I want to change it back, I can't now. I found I have to delete the style and recreate it to get it back to Paragraph. Is there a better way? Thanks in advance for any help.

Cant open 2013 word docs or app on Acer laptop

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 06:48 AM PDT

Randomly I lost the documents in my library so followed some advice and deleted library and then restored to previous library. That worked to get documents back except now they wont open at all except on Wordpad. The Word App wont open either. No error message - just nothing happens when any word document is clicked on. Help?

Where are the "E-mail" and "Address" quick parts in MS Word 2013?

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 06:32 AM PDT

The dropdown menu for Quick Parts>Document Property only has "Company E-mail" and "Company Address".

But in some of the premade coverpages in Word 2013, I clearly see Quick Parts for "E-mail" and "Address" being used.

I would like to use these and/or even make some of my own labeled Quick Parts, and I need some instructions on how to do this.

Thank you.

Office 2013 will not open

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 05:13 AM PDT

Hi,

I've been having difficulty accessing my Microsoft office application for the last two days. I click on an office icon  (word, power point, excel) in the start menu of windows 8 the loading circle appear then disappears and nothing opens. I received an email that my 365 subscription was ending on September 20th, but as far as I remember I purchased Office 2013 when my laptop initial office version expired. Trouble is I don't remember my product key ( so I haven't tried to reinstall to see if there was an issue with the file). I have also gone into program files on the desktop to see if I could open it another way. When I go into office, I search word but don't see the application (the folder is also named office 2015). I see parts of the application ("word.cnv.dll, Wordicon, etc . . .) but not the app. When I  press on the shortcut for word it tells me windows is searching for winword.exe, and then asks to fix the shortcut. I press yes. When I press it again it goes through the same procedure. I am now completely lost on what the hex is going on with my pc?

Update: I see the file in office 15>root>office 15 I click it and nothing

recovering unsaved documents from zipped folder

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 04:06 AM PDT

I was editing a word doc from inside a zipped folder. i closed the edited doc without saying save when it asked me whether i wanted to save the changes to the archives. I thought i had already saved the doc on the desktop. I can't find it now in my Manage versions or recover recent version options. 

Help! 

When I copy and post from Internet Explorer 10 to Word 2007 - I get codes or a field box where links are located - for example Facebook and Twitter

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 03:15 AM PDT

When I am trying to copy and paste the contents of any webpage into my Microsoft Word 2007 document I gain a text box and codes such as {java-script request} and the symbols are in text boxes.

 

I sometimes get the links to go the website to share the page or a yellow scroll to show that there are options to drop down, as I have had this issue before.

 

I basically want as much of the function and links from a webpage to paste into a Word document.

 

I also notice that the hyperlinks are not underlined as in my prior documents when I insert the hyperlink.

 

Any assistance would be appreciated.

 

I have looked at this article - but I have not had any luck -  

http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/HyperlinkProbs.htm

Thank you

Setting up a default work folder in Word 365

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 06:13 PM PDT

I would appreciate some help. I want to be able, by default, to go to the exact folder in which I opened a document when I want to save it under a new name. I also want to go back to that same folder directly when I'm finished editing and "saving as" and now want to open a new document.

Another thread here suggested that I tell Word not to use "Backstage" in saving; this has no effect. At present, I am trying to work with documents in SkyDrive, but if that's part of the problem, I can revert to using the "My Documents" folder and save completed work to a thumb drive.

To explain again, after I have edited the first document in a session, I want to be able to save it as the original name plus "TJ EDITED," close it, click on "open" and find myself in the same, exact folder where the previous file was saved. Even with "Don't use backstage" checked, when I click on "open," I have to choose among "My Documents," "Computer," and "Skydrive," and if I choose the latter then drill down to the folder I am working in.

So after I edit and save (as) one document in "Skydrive\Assignment 3," I want Word to pop open that folder again so I can choose another document to edit. That has been default behavior in Word over many versions, and I hope it's still possible to do so instead of sorting through all the possible locations.

Thanks.

Proofing language keeps changing after I use it, reverts back to English, leaving me with red-underlines everywhere!

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 04:10 PM PDT

I cite a lot of foreign languages in my writing--German, French, Spanish and Latin.  It's great that I can proof in these languages, but why, after I tell Word, for example, "This string is in German," Why doesn't it remember it?  

Computers are supposed to be good at remembering!  Next thing I know, it's underlining perfectly good English words because it somehow leaps to the decision that they are German!  

Question: Is there any way to set the proofing language for a string, and keeping it that way.  Living languages evolve, but a sentence written in English or German stays in English or German.  Why is this so hard for Word to figure out? Is there a solution?

John Gadway

Table of Contents needs to refer to a page with a single image (jpg) no text

Posted: 28 Sep 2013 06:06 AM PDT

My document contains a TOC.  I have one page that is just a jpg image (no text).  How do I get the TOC to include the image page?