Pages

Search

Microsoft Works - Works 8.0 WinXP w/SP2 -- cannot read Word 6.0 *.doc files. Need converter?

Microsoft Works - Works 8.0 WinXP w/SP2 -- cannot read Word 6.0 *.doc files. Need converter?


Works 8.0 WinXP w/SP2 -- cannot read Word 6.0 *.doc files. Need converter?

Posted: 20 May 2005 01:27 PM PDT

Yes, download the converter file and install it.
Microsoft Office Downloads: Converters for Word 2000
.... The Works 6.0 Converter allows you to convert word
processor documents created
.... The Works 2000 converter allows you to open a Works 2000
..wps file in ...
office.microsoft.com/en-us/
officeupdate/CD010225831033.aspx - 30k - May 18, 2005 -
Cached - Similar pages

Microsoft Office Downloads Home Page
... add-ins, converters, and viewers for Office programs,
from critical ...
This Web site works best with Microsoft Internet Explorer
5.01 or later or ...
office.microsoft.com/Downloads/default.aspx - 35k -
Cached - Similar pages

and

http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/default.mspx






--
The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
some support
http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm




"ggull" <com> wrote in message
news:phx.gbl...
|I have many files created under Win Me (and previous) in
Word 6.0 format.
|
| When I try to open these on my new computer, a Windows XP
Home Edition with
| Service Pack 2 machine, using the Works 8.0 word
processor, I get the error
|
| << Works cannot open <filename>.doc. .... , the file
format may not be
| supported by any of the installed converters, .... >>
|
| I notice that I can read/write *.doc files in Word 97
format and above.
|
| Does there exist a converter for Word 6.0/95 documents?
| If so, how can I acquire and install it?
|
| ------------
| This seems to be an issue new to Works 8.0, and maybe even
to SP2 in WinXP,
| which is why I'm crossposting to a Win XP group.
|
|


best format for attachments to e-mail

Posted: 19 May 2005 02:52 PM PDT



"Jim Macklin" wrote:
 

Works 8 - How do I end a page where I want it to end?

Posted: 18 May 2005 01:21 PM PDT


"Libra" wrote ...
 

You may need to use some other form of trickery. Such as, change to font
size on all, or part, of the page you need to fit more text on. Or, if you
are using a lot of white space, eliminate some of it.

There doesn't seem to be a "fix" for your problem, but work-arounds are
abundant.
--
Best regards,

Sam Gillett

Change is inevitable,
except from vending machines!







4.5a error

Posted: 18 May 2005 10:20 AM PDT

Hi Rodney,
Ever since 4.5a, MS seemed to have degraded the usefulness of Works. After
going through ver 5, 6, 7 and being disappointed I decided to get Office
Pro. Each ver after 4.5a seemed to try to emulate Office anyway.
In Excel the Pivot table seems closest to Wks db report. I also have
imported Excel into Access and then used that for a report. Definitely not
as fast or easy as Works4.5a.
Keep up the good work. You and Kevin are the only ones left from the earlier
group, ie, Omar, Mark, Andrea and of course "David".
Cheers. JohnS.
"Rodney" <com.au> wrote in message
news:eC%phx.gbl... 


WS 2005 SS - Font Size does not recognize CR

Posted: 17 May 2005 01:19 PM PDT

Thanks for responding.

But you do not need to do the whole SS.

I am able to change a single cell by selecting and then right-clicking
and selecting Format and then Font tab and then typing in the font size
change desired.

But trying the straight-forward top of page approach does not work when
I input the font by keyboard and CR.

Does any one know what is broken or what?

TIA,
Neil


Bquinn wrote: 

Reading Word 6.0 documents?

Posted: 17 May 2005 09:18 AM PDT

Give them a try


--
The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
some support
http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm



"ggull" <com> wrote in message
news:%phx.gbl...
| "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
..
| > Check the WORKS homepage for WORKS converters that
install
| > in WORKS to allow reading/writing previous versions.
| > http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/
|
| Thanks for the idea, and this seems like it SHOULD be
where the answer is
| found, but after a frustrating hour browsing around that
site I don't find
| those converters. The closest I can come is on the
downloads page,
| http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/downloads.mspx
| but again these go in the opposite direction:
| <<
| Works 6.0 Converter
| The Works 6.0 converter enables users of Works 2000, Works
4.x, Microsoft
| Word 2000, Word 97, and previous versions of Word to read
documents created
| in Works 6.0. This converter has been tested with Works
4.5, Works 2000,
| Word 97, and Word 2000 running on Microsoft Windows® 98
and Windows Me.
| [not to mention as I should have that I'm using Works 8.0,
WinXP w/SP2], and
| Word 2000 Batch Works File Converter
| The Word 2000 Batch Works file converter, included in
Works Suite 2000,
| helps you convert all of your Works document files into
Word 2000 format.
| >>
|
| The support page doesn't give anything useful (just tells
me to do what I'd
| been doing, nothing about what to do when that doesn't
work, i.e. where to
| get a converter), the Help file in Works doesn't help, and
a Knowledge Base
| search doesn't turn up anything that seems useful (except
telling me that
| Works 7.0 was able to read Word 6.0/95 files).
|
| Maybe I'm just not looking at the right page -- can you
point me more
| specifically to it?
|
| Otherwise, at least I've gained a bit more language with
which I can try to
| phrase a better subject line and question, which I'll now
do.
|
|


Pictures not staying put in Works .wps document

Posted: 17 May 2005 06:14 AM PDT

Get WORKS Suite which includes WORD or just buy OFFICE (or
WORD).


--
The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.


"gabby335" <com> wrote in message
news:com...
|I have a client who is writing a book and we have had much
trouble getting
| pictures to stay where we put them!
|
| I am used to working with Word and not Works documents and
the differences
| are annoying at best! I have come to the conclusion that
you can't utilize
| text boxes as holders for the pictures, but even if placed
directly on the
| page, as soon as you try to ammend the document by adding
information *above*
| the pages where the pictures have been placed, then the
document moves all
| the pictures (20 + pages of pictures up and over the
already written text!!!!
|
| Aaaaarrrrrgggghhhh! What do I need to do to get them to
stay put *on* the
| pages that we placed them???


Finding End of Line character inWorks database

Posted: 15 May 2005 05:02 AM PDT


G'day Don,
I'm sure our luminary, Kevin James would know.
He seems to be having a rest from all of us
at the moment :)



| Hi Rodney
|
| Thanks for the input
|
| I read sometime ago in a magazine what I think was the answer to this
| question.
|
| I wish I had written it down at the time
|
| The reason I want this is I import the data for the field from Eudora,
| Its the output of a form on my website, and regularly people put and
| "End of Line" character in the form by pressing enter.
|
| The EoL then poses a problem in my database and I have to remove them.
| I would like to search and replace if I could rather than doing it all
| one by one.
| Cheers
| Don Strachan
|
| For some 10,000 NZ and international Automotive, Alternate Fuel and Motorsport Links and information.
|
| Dons Auto Pages: <http://www.donsautopages.co.nz/>
| Email: <co.nz>


re-installing works suite 2002

Posted: 12 May 2005 04:44 PM PDT

Probably not what your going to want to here, but maybe it is. I bought a
Gateway in 1998. Just contacted them via there online real-time support. I
had a tech IM me my PID in like 2 minutes.

Good Luck.

Works Delete?

Posted: 09 May 2005 01:10 PM PDT

Rennie,
As a user of Office Pro, you have two mail clients installed on your
computer - Outlook (a more robust client), which is a part of Office, and
Outlook Express, which is a part of the Windows Operating System. Removing
Works will not remove either of your mail clients.
HTH

"Ken" wrote: