Pages

Search

Resource View Summary Tasks Microsoft Project

Resource View Summary Tasks Microsoft Project


Resource View Summary Tasks

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 01:36 PM PDT

Thanks John, I could probably do it in MS Access but I was wondering if
MS Project could do it

Thanks.....

John wrote:
 

Where is email name in MS database schema?

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 10:21 AM PDT

Hi BMac,
In Project 2000 it is the Email Address field. You will
only have that field available if you are in a resource
driven view however, such as the resource sheet. You
will not see the field available in a task driven view
(such as the Gantt chart or task sheet.)

Hope this helps.
Julie 
(from memory). 
group. 
project.server 
practices and Project VBA 
email name for a 
name for the field 

Two key concepts we need to make our schedule work! Can Project aand the operator do this.

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 08:22 AM PDT


John,
I apologize ahead of time. The answer seems obvious. Skip operations 1
through 4 and go straight to 5 because the weekend is here. Oh by the
way, make sure the resource is readily available :-)

John

changing default time?

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 08:15 AM PDT

Are you certain that you're changing to correct calendar when you try
manually? The calendar that is designated as the Project Calendar (Project
Information screen) is the one that governs tasks that have no resources
assigned while the calendar designated as the base calendar for the
resources is the one that will govern, vie the resource calendar, for tasks
that resources have been assigned to them. Did you highlight all the column
headings to change the hours for all dys of the week or did you only update
one day's working time? (That's incredibly easy to do if you're distracted,
happens to me all the time LOL)


--
Steve House [MVP]
MS Project Trainer/Consultant
Visit http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm for the FAQs


"dion" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:216c701c45ac7$3ad7f600$gbl... 


So many questions...so little time...on scheduling and leveling

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 03:41 PM PDT

+ First, thanks for taking the time to sort through the mess. I take
your point about taking a class. Is there something online or a good
book you could recommend to me?
----------------------------------------------------------------
Some basics: Project 2003 on XP. All tasks are Fixed Unit ASAP. All
dependencies are either FS or FF. All Resources have start dates but
NA for end dates. Scheduling based on Start Date. No assignments to
summary Tasks.

How can I specify a minimum assignment interval for a project? Say 1
hour?

* What is an assignment interval?

+ I want it to not split a task into intervals of less than 1 hour.
I'm looking for a way around the rounding problem mentioned below.

Can I assign 2 people to one task without requiring them to work
together every minute? I'd like to set a time window (say, a 5 day
period) during which they're scheduled for 1 day each, but the
specific times do not have to match.

* Have you tried Project? What youask for is normal berhaviour, it's
keeping them synchronous that is nearly impossible :-))

+ Perhaps there's a setting that controls it? ALL my joint tasks are
synchronous after leveling. I've resorted to creating one
task/resource to get around it. One possibility is that I enter
everything as Work not duration. Bad idea?

What causes Project to allocate 100s of thousands of percent to a
Resource when leveling?

* I wouldn't know, because I have never seen leveling change
assignment units.

+ The weather's actually fine over here in the twilight zone. It's a
good thing because the birds ate my bread crumbs so I'm having trouble
finding a way home.

What causes Project to decide to schedule some tasks in 2049 when
leveling? (Note basics above.) I've read about reasons that Project
has for doing this, but I don't think they apply in my case.

* Of course they will apply, a software always obeys to its own
rules.Reasons are using availability dates for resources or assigning
resources to summary tasks.

+ I checked for those situations. (I mention this at the top.) I do
use availalability dates, but I use only start dates. The end dates
are always NA. I can often get around this by playing with the order
in which I level (and relevel) individual resources or by changing
leveling options (ID order seems to avoid the problem the most often.)
Is there a way to tell it to stop leveling if it can't fit everything
in by a certain date? (My project is scheduled by start date.)

What causes Project to set Work to 0 for some groups of tasks when
leveling?

* Again, I have never seen leveling change work. Are you sure there is
not a VBA macro that runs before leveling ? I once did that for a
customer.

+ Not unless Project itself runs such a macro.

Is there any way to give Project a threshhold when leveling so that it
would consider an x% overallocation close enough and keep going?

* Yes, give the resource a max. units of 100+x%

+ Thanks.

Why does Project leveling assign 7.98 hours to the first day of a 3
day task, when the task has only 1 resource assigned, and the resource
has no other assignments on that day?

* You could try FAQ 5. Default Workiing hours on
http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm Another possibility is that a
predecessor ends a few minutes into the day Finally I have to admit
that leveling doesn't always round decimals correctly.

+ Rounding and maybe more. I've now found cases when it allocates <15%
of a workday...My workaround is to delete and readd the task. That
seems to cure it.

When I apply the "Critical" filter in Gantt, Project shows only tasks
in the final three months of the project. Does this mean that no
individual task is critical before that time? (That there are multiple
paths that prevent an earlier finish date?)

* No. It means what it shows, that no tasks are critical at all. You
must have a constraint somewhere in the middle, in such a way that
tasks inthe arly stages of the project do not influence end date at
all.

+ Thanks.

When you assign two resources to one task, both at 100%, why does Work
sometimes show slightly (8.03 vs 7.97) different values on Tracking
Gantt and Resource Usage?

* I do not know. I should see the file.

+ I suspect rounding again. My fix is to delete and reenter the task.

What does an assignment of 0h mean and why does leveling create them?

* Again, I have never seen Leveling create assignments

+ Struggling a bit with terminology. I look on Resource Usage and I
see cells with 0hrs there (followed and/or preceded by non-zero
cells.) Is "split" the correct term?

What does it mean to assign a resource to a summary task while leaving
the detail tasks unassigned?

* That it will work on that summary task for the whole duration of the
summary task (independently of whether there are detail tasks at
certain dates or not)

+ Thanks.

When you enter a work # on a task with multiple resources, why does it
divide the work # by the # of resources? And why does it not do so if
you reenter the #?

* I rarely answer Why questions, I cannot look into the head those who
wrote the specs.

Why are the IDs sometimes out of sequence in Tracking Gantt view?

* BecauseYOU sorted the view.

+ This is a little different. I drag a task to a different spot in the
outline, and it retains its old ID. The worst case is that I drag a
task to another spot, then drag a second task to another spot, and the
first dragee jumps back to its original place. Also, sometimes the
predecessor field retains an obsolete ID # after you move the task to
which it refers. The latter problem resolves itself with a little
jiggling.

New ones.

+ Project repeatedly (but not always) sets Work to 0 for certain tasks
when leveling. Any pointers?

+ My leveling strategy goes like this:

S1) Clear leveling for the project.
S2) Go to Resource Usage.
S3) Sort Resources by descending Work.
S4) Level Resource 1. Skip All.
S5) Level the busiest overallocated Resource other than the Resource
you just leveled. Skip All.
S6) Repeat S5 until overallocations go away.

Leveling settings: Hour by Hour. Do not clear. Entire project. ID
order. Ignore slack. Do not adjust individual assignments. No splits.

If I vary from this routine, I usually get 2049 problems. One way that
often corrects 2049 problems is to clear leveling on just those tasks
that finish in 2049 and relevel.

I appreciate your suggestions!

Summary tasks from Project To excel

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 09:26 AM PDT

A.Outlineparent.outlineparent.name
HTH
--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
http://users.online.be/prom-ade/index.htm
32-495-300 620
"Esperanza" <com> schreef in bericht
news:google.com... 
news:<microsoft.com>... 


Project statistics

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 09:24 AM PDT

Hi Pops,

I apologize. Terminology confusion on my part, I thought
you were talking about Project|Project Information|
Statistics, not File|Properties|Statistics.

The only way I can discover what I think you are looking
for is to do as Gerard Ducouret suggested in his post.
Save the project file as a template file. [File|Save As|
change the file type to template]. Then when you choose
file|New and base the new file on the template, your file
properties are "re-set."

Sorry again for the misdirect. Hope this helps.

Julie 
or 
modify 
open 
schedule. 
better 

Exporting into Excel

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 08:47 AM PDT


Mark,
In answer to your second question there is not an option per se for
copying gantt chart graphic information. However there are several ways
to get there. One way, although I've never tried it, is to save the
gantt chart view as a web page. I'm not sure exactly what it does with
the graphic, but you might want to read about it in the Project help
file and give it a try.

A second method that is often used is to capture the gantt chart view as
an image using the 'copy picture' (little camera) icon. With this method
you have to try different screen formats to get the image as you want it.

Another method, if you have the full Adobe Acrobat version, is to save
the file as a .pdf. You won't be able to manipulate it but the whole
file is captured.

Yet another method is to use a VBA macro to effectively replicate the
graphic features of each task in the Gantt Chart. This method can be
used in Excel, PowerPoint, or Word. It does give you control of the
image, but requires some VBA expertise.

Hope this helps.
John

Allow Project to set Units

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 08:45 AM PDT

Hi Jan,
I was affraid of that. As far as Maximum
Availability, that is the reason I was hoping Project
would do this. We have a large base of Engineers that we
are working with and the Program Manager wants to know if
he needs to put in a request to have X number of them
transfered off their current projects to fulfil the need
or do we need to hire additional engineers, and how
many. I think, as you questioned below, I am going to
have to take it one task at a time and adjust how many
are working on each task to manipulate the date.
I can look at my Resource Sheet and see my "Peak"
units. If I adjust my Max units to equal my peak units
and then level, all it does is say that no-one is over
allocated, it does not adjust my date. If I add more
units than my peak and then level, it just says that we
have people under utilized. I guess I will have to do it
by hand.

Thanks for your input.

Shaun 
right, but I have some 
By the same factor? 
bericht 
of 
The 
the 
finish 

Editable calculated custom field in project

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 08:35 AM PDT

No you can not, but if the value is a static value, you don't need to.

Simply use a value list.

select the column header
right click
select customize fields
click on the value list button
enter the value you want as default
check the "Use a value from the list as the default..." box.
Select the value
Click the set default button
check the "allow additional items to be entered into the field" button.
click OK.

Now if the value must be calculated you have to use two fields
Use Text1 for the user to enter a non-default value.
Use Text2 with a formula like this:

iif([Text1]="",(put your formula here),[Text1])

That way if text1 is blank it uses and displays the result of your formula,
and if text1 is not blank it uses and displays the value of text1.

-Jack

"Gabriele" <it> wrote in message
news:google.com... 


setting defaults

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 08:17 AM PDT

Hi Julie,

Funny version of Project you seem to have - I have always known that the
setting of Date Format under Tools, Options, View spreads through the whole
computer (even when you have multiple Global.mpt files) so the answer to
your question is: to achieve that, do nothing. Project does it all for you.

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
http://users.online.be/prom-ade/index.htm
32-495-300 620
"JulieD" <net.au> schreef in bericht
news:phx.gbl... 
it 


Fill Colors for Project Fields

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 07:59 AM PDT

I don't know, but I have asked for it :) Why not send them a wish?


Mike Glen
Project MVP


"Al Wallace" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:com... 
I guess I was hoping for some backdoor/magical incantation ;) Do you know
if MS plans to add this feature to make this product more consistent with
the rest of the MS Office suite? 
Select 
seen at 
discussion 
they 


Project Resource Dependencies

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 07:46 AM PDT

"Al Wallace" <microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<com>... 
was that if Fred was the only one working the tasks, I didn't want him
to bounce back and forth between them. Leveling is not what I want to
do. I want to find a way (if one exists) for Project to identify the
resource dependencies so that I can try to apply other/different
resources. Leveling doesn't do that. I want to compress my schedule,
not extend it.

But that is exactly what Project is showing you on the Resource Usage
view. The resources in red are overallocated. Look through their
assignments, and the timescale view on the right side of the screen
will show you which tasks overlap and when. These are the tasks you
should find another resource for, or you could manually level by
adjusting the scheduled work in the timescale part.

Sarah
sarah_kiko@(removethis)cinfin.com

Custom project report/analysis

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 07:13 AM PDT

Hello,
I downloaded the tool bar and didn't have any problems.
Have you displayed the toolbar? 
tool 
of 
predefined 
in 
of 

unchecked Project

Posted: 24 Jun 2004 06:55 AM PDT

Zimmermann --
Zimmermann --

If your PC crashes while you have a project open, it will remain in a
checked out state until someone checks it in. If you are using Project
Server 2002, your Project Server administrator is the only one who can check
it in for you. If you are using Project Server 2003, you can check in your
own project on the Project Center page or you can have your Project Server
administrator check it in for you. Hope this helps.

--
Dale A. Howard [MVP]
Enterprise Project Trainer/Consultant
Denver, Colorado
http://www.msprojectexperts.com
"We wrote the book on Project Server"


"Zimmermann Christian" <hevs.ch> wrote in message
news:cbgr0a$i56$ip-plus.net...