Pages

Search

Exchange Disaster Recover - Microsoft Exchange

Exchange Disaster Recover - Microsoft Exchange


Exchange Disaster Recover

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 05:43 PM PDT

Hi, I read your post and I am currently creating an Exchange DR procedure

You may be able to use your companies desire for Exchange DR as a driving force to support an upgrade to Exchange 2003

Exchange 2000/2003 has many features for DR, and I am implementing them all in to my plan depending on the sitauation. One thing that came to mind while reading your post is a Dial-Tone scenario. I'm not that experienced with Exchange 5.5, but wondered to myself if you could "workaround" something similar

Basically in the Dial-Tone scenario, you set up a similar Exchange server (in AD you would have an Alternate Forest) separate from your production network. Then (if facing database corruption) you would basically blow-away the corrupt production database and create a new blank database. This will allow your users to send/receive mail messages and get them back up and running quickly

Then on the secondary Exchange server you would do your resotre and/or repair on your database. Once you get the original database back on to the secondary server you can connect to the mailboxes using ExMerge (or similar) and move the data back into production. (Or to save time you can just swap the restored database back into production and put the dial-tone database on to the secondary server to save time with the data transfer)

There are many other improvements in the DR arena in Exchange 2003 as well. I would try to lobby for getting an upgrade to your systems

Hope this helps

Here is a really good whitepaper on Exchange 2003 Disaster Recovery if you want to learn more

Exchange Server 2003 Disaster Recovery Operations Guid
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.msp

James Hil
co


outlook hangs when rebooting DCs normal?

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 11:59 AM PDT

"eric romero" <com> wrote:
 

Yes, if Outlook can't see the directory then it'll get upset.
I say yes, I'm surprised it hagngs. You should at least get some
messages and not complete unresponsiveness.

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP,
FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm
Blog: http://www.msexchange.me.uk

mail keeps being resend after deleting recipient

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 08:01 AM PDT

It did go away and so did my concern about the problem. Thanks for the peace of mind.

PHYTOSAN

"James Hill" wrote:
 

NT Backups dont run after Exchange SP1

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 08:01 AM PDT

Well, for what it's worth, I don't have SP1 installed yet & I have that
problem with system state backups. Are you indeed backing up system state in
the same job?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=820272&product=exch2003 has
info on this, but as you say you've already seen it, you must know that this
applies to E2003 even w/o SP1....the KB article is a bit misleading as the
problem occurs even when you don't have the databases on the system volume.

Bloke wrote: 


SMTP E-mail Addresses

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 06:56 AM PDT

Hi Toby, thanks for your post. Baris' method is what I use as well

What I do is run LDIFDE for EACH domain I want to dump the info from. Here is the command I run

C:\LDIFDE\>ldifde -f DUMPFILE.TXT -D "DC=MYCOMPANY,DC=COM" -L givenName,proxyaddresses -R "(objectCategory=user)

This should do the trick

Hope it helps

James R. Hil
co
MCSE2000 MCSA2000 MCP2000 CCN
CMA CME MCP+I MCSE4.0 MCP4.0 CN

rules number limit?

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 02:17 AM PDT

Not that I know of. 150 rules seems kind of extreme to me....


Alberto Brivio wrote: 


Accessing Badmail folder

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 12:10 PM PDT

thanks again...

We have recently feel victim to a vicious spammer. My logs and badmail have
grown exponentially.

http://www.winnetmag.com/Article/ArticleID/40507/40507.html

this is the only article that I have seen that has addressed the issue...


"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:#phx.gbl... 


why is my queues full with domains mail i dont reconize

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 08:33 AM PDT

Hi,
you might want to check that freeware tool on simtel:
http://www.simtel.net/product.php[id]78568[sekid]0[SiteID]simtel.net
Karsten


"James" <net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:#IX#phx.gbl... 
to 
getting 
how 


OS upgrade but not Exchange 5.5

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 07:10 AM PDT

thanks 
method. 
us;q183266 
machine 
OS 

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 09:16 PM PDT

I think the problem maybe

The c=MY must change to c=US but how to change that thin
i also cannot send mail to measat.co


----- William Lefkovics [MVP] wrote: ----

Can you resolve that with each of the servers
nslooku
set type=m
us.measat.co

I can't from here, but I can from the office

Willia

"Yusri" <microsoft.com> wrote in messag
news:com.. 
anyone without problem 
problem,somehow only my exchange server cannot sent to this person 
6/9/2004 11:49 A 
;p=ASTRO;l=POALKW01-040609034809Z-51 

Email address...

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 02:06 PM PDT

Thank you, William
What is MX record? Can you give me a sample?

How do I get Microsoft Exchange for Outlook 2002?

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 04:11 PM PDT

Call your ISP and ask them if they offer Out of Office
response for email. Almost all pay ISP's offer OOF.

 
be on Microsoft Exchange server for this to be active?
How/what part of Microsoft Exchange do I need to download -
do I need to buy something? 

Creation of .PST Files

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 10:34 AM PDT

I think ExMerge itself can only do the 'legacy' .pst files at this time.

William


"Tom Pennington" <net> wrote in message
news:%phx.gbl... 
the 
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;830336&Product=out2003 



Address Book and SMTP

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 09:19 AM PDT

No offense, but i don't think that would solve my needs.
We are not in the same domain. To seperate domains (with
no child domains) with two seperate Exchange servers. But
I need the Exchange server of one domain to be able to
access the global address list from the other Exchange
server. Permissions is no problem seeing that I have an
admin account in both domains. Any ideas? The email is
lydellscooby@...

Public folders - prevent duplicates, disallow forwarding to

Posted: 04 Jun 2004 08:42 AM PDT

Tom,

The question that your reply raised for me is as follows. That comparison
must create a lot of overhead processing. I was thinking that checking the
subject vs. every other subject in the public folder is pretty processor
intensive if it is a heavily used folder.

Would there be a means of identifying duplicates by message id? And would
that be a lower overhead implementation?

Regarding the one month thing for the scope of the project. I was factoring
in the need to come up to speed on the programming exchange / outlook
techniques.

Regards,

Jeff Loucks
Available Technology ®
Solutions For Professionals ®
www.availabletechnology.com


"Tom Rizzo [MSFT]" <com> wrote in message
news:phx.gbl... 
rights. 
depending 
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/deploy/exchout.mspx 
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?st=b&na=88&View=en-us&qu=thomas+rizzo 
for 
greatly 


add a secondary address to the Global Address List

Posted: 04 Jun 2004 07:58 AM PDT

Thank you!! That worked perfectly. So easy its rather
embarassing that I didn't think of it. Oh well...at least
I know where to find the answers.

Natalie 
create a mailbox 
address and set it 
we 
account 

im unable to open free/busy

Posted: 02 Jun 2004 09:28 PM PDT

Again, what is shared calendar? Only primary calendar items will be used to
generate free/busy data.

Baris.

--
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"James" <net> wrote in message
news:%phx.gbl...