Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - Word 2003 Text jumps up and down when typing

Microsoft Word - Word 2003 Text jumps up and down when typing


Word 2003 Text jumps up and down when typing

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 02:05 PM PST

I just had to install Office 2003 because my newer computer crashed. Every time I type on Word the text I am typing suddenly shifts upward and then when I stop typing, the text moves back to where it is supposed to be. A brief pause causes it to drop back down, so everything I type is constantly bouncing up and down. My cursor, however, is not jumping to other parts of the screen, a seemingly similar problem that other people have had. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Office 2010 (Student & Home)

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 02:00 PM PST

My Hard Drive failed recently and I got a replacement.  I reinstalled Microsoft Word 2010 and it is showing in my Control Panel programming, however, I cannot get access to it.  Can you please help me?

Wrap and rotate text to edge of graphic?

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 01:53 PM PST

I am trying to figure out how to attach text to the edge of a graphic.  I want the text to rotate and follow the outline of the graphic rather than be standard text that just flows around the graphic.  I can get the wrap points but I can't figure out how to make text adhere to them.  Hopefully this question makes sense.

Create a macro to put on toolbar in Word2010 for high and low res pdf from Adobe PDF Maker 11

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 12:02 PM PST

I have Word 2010 and I have Adobe PDF Maker that came with Adobe Acrobat XI.

I already have the PDF Maker on my Word toolbar.

I frequently change between making a high or low res pdf by selecting Acobat Preferences then under Conversion settings drop down I select High resolution print or Smallest file size.

Because I have to change back and forth and it's so many clicks I wondered if I could create a macro that selects the high resolution and save it to my toolbar and one that selects the smallest file size and save it to my toolbar as well.

Word 2010 Keyboard Shortcuts for Group and Ungroup

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 11:50 AM PST

I am a keyboard shortcut fanatic and I am all about finding the faster way. What happened to Ctrl+G? It doesn't work...

Labels/Envelopes

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 11:49 AM PST

Hi

In Word 2013 I set an Avery label setting which printed out OK.

Subsequently when I tried to print an envelope I got the following error message=

'There is a problem with the label information you are trying to use. You may be able to correct the problem by repairing office or by reinstalling the label information'.

I get this message when I try to print both envelopes or labels and an unable to access the label settings.

I have gone through the repair procedure without any effect.

help needed.

DC

Header row in a table

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 11:37 AM PST

I have created a table three pages long with 3 columns and 30-some rows, plus a header row.  I want the header row to be repeated on each page.  I have been following this procedure to no avail: Select table; select Table Properties/Row and add a checkmark for Repeat as header row etc.  But my header row does not show up on the pages after page 1.  I tried the same thing but selecting only the header row.  Still no joy.  How is this to be done?

Word 2013 Bullets Formatting Indentation from Left

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 11:05 AM PST

Hi, I have Word 2013 on windows computer. I was going along fine in my document, formatting bullet points. I'm changing the indentation from the left manually so it will line up the way I want it to. Some of my bullet points are lining up correctly, but in between the bullet and the text there's a large (like 2 inch) gap. Within the same document, using the same process to format the bullets, sometimes it works correctly and sometimes it doesn't. HELP!! Thanks in advance.

ENVELOPE - PAPER MISMATCH ERROR

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 10:18 AM PST

When I create an envelope in Word 2010 using the envelope menu and put the blank #10 envelope in the HP Photosmart printer C410a as specified I get a paper mismatch error notification.  Used to be able to do this but not now.

Copy link to cross-reference?

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 09:27 AM PST

Hi,

I write long documents with numbered paragraphs and hundreds of cross-references each.  Finding and pasting in those cross-references is kind of a pain.  

Here's what I would love to be able to do - the question is whether there's any way to do it?

1. I need to insert cross-reference as a paragraph number (e.g., See paragraph xyz above).

2. I split my window in two.  I go to the other window and find the paragraph I want to reference (paragraph xyz in this case).

3. I somehow pick up a link to the paragraph number, e.g. by right-clicking and selecting "copy link" just as I would with a web URL.

4. I go the place where I need to insert the cross-reference and just hit Paste (e.g. ctrl-P).

5. The link to paragraph xyz is pasted in, and it will change if the paragraph numbers change.

Any way to do this?

Many thanks!

How do I get my microsoft office 2010 back ?

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 08:56 AM PST

Earlier today, I was working on my PC and it told me that it needed refreshed? 
I did as it told me too, and now it has taken away the apps that I installed like Microsoft office 2010 and my Wacom Tablet.
They are all sitting on my desktop in a folder named "removed applications", is there anyway I could get them back without installing them, downloading them or buying them ? 

Thanks, Jamie.

WORD 2010 Combine new version with original doesn't seem to work?

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 08:53 AM PST

Okay, I'm having problems with my computer freezing up and having to shutdown without saving some of my work. So when I pull up my recovered documents, it opens multiple versions for some reason and I can't determine which one is the correct or last version. To be safe when I saved the different versions, I assumed the compare and combine feature would ensure I had the most recent edits included in my original. I was given an option to overwrite, save and rename, which I don't want to do because I don't want the clutter in my file (and when prior versioning worked beautifully for this), and the last option was to compare and combine the unsaved version into the original. I chose the logical third option. It kept cycling me back to compare and combine. After three times of being asked that, I just shut down word and went on to something else. Now when I open the document, which is the original with the compared changes included, there is no evidence of the combined work that I thought happened with this feature. Nor are there any prior versions for me to pull on. Since the new version feature appears to only work for unsaved documents, how do we do the old process of creating a real versioning of drafts in progress without doing save as. There is also no ability to go in and make notations in the versions to let me know what changes were in the drafts. Are you sure people like this better? There's no control over the drafting process!

Please help. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to work with manual drafts and no easy way to notate the different versions. Not even the Word 2010 backup is worth much. It is always in a state of overwriting, what kind of help is that when a feature doesn't work as implied? All those draft changes are now in cyber darkness.

Running Word Count

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 08:50 AM PST

Heya,

For my dissertation I have to include a word count which gives the number of words on each page and a running total. Is there anyway I can make a footer different on each page in order to achieve this? I am already using footnotes, which must be included in my wordcount to, so I cannot use text boxes as I have to give in a digital copy, and this would show the wrong word count. 

Thanks, 

Caroline 

Office will not stay open

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 08:46 AM PST

I have a Lenovo All-in-one, bought in December. It came with Windows 8. I bought Microsoft Office 2013 for Home and Student. (the download version)  Every time I try doing something, error message appears that there is problem and program closes. I have reload the software twice. Any advice? Keep it simple, old woman here.

Font Color Constantly Reverts to Black

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 08:25 AM PST

I need to know how to change the font color when I'm editing a document. The document is typed in black, and I would like to make additions to the entire document in red and green. When I click on the font color I want, it only applies to the line that I am currently typing. When I move to a different line or paragraph, the color changes back to black. I understand that I can type what I want and go back and highlight it and change the color that way, but that's not very efficient. Why can't I just click on the color I want, type with that color until I'm done, and click on the next color I want to use?

Can't send email from Word App

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 08:18 AM PST

Can't send an e-mail from my word app no associated e-mail provider have seen a few queries is windows 8 realy this antiquated you can't just send an e-mail. How can i fix this problem in simple terms as i realy need to send an e-mail or two

<Original Title: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***>

Mark Citation

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 07:54 AM PST

I hit the Mark Citation prompt and it inserted the paragraph symbol next to every line of text. I would like to complete remove the formatting but am unable to do so. I have even tried to start a new word document so I could recreate my document and this same formatting continues to appear. It somehow appears to have become my preferred documenting in Word. Please help!

Word 2013 Does Not Save Documents In .RTF Format Correctly After Conversion From Word 2003

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 07:44 AM PST

I attached four documents in .rtf format and one document in .doc format to an email and sent it to myself from my old computer (Windows XP, Word 2003) to my new computer (Windows 8.1, Word 2013). I opened all five attachments and all documents appeared to be complete. After converting the documents to Word 2013 and saving them in my DOCUMENTS folder, I discovered that all the .rtf documents were truncated. Below is the process I followed for two .rtf documents and one .doc document:

Action: double click email attachments

Results: (protected View); Footer: ~280 pages [each document is a slight variation of the others]

--------------------------------------------------

Action: double click Downloads BHNWHSFF.rtf

Results: (protected view); Footer: 280 pages

Action: click ENABLE EDITING

Results: BHNWHSFF  (compatibility mode); Footer: 280 pages

Action: click FILE/Convert/OK

Results: BHNWHSFF; Footer: 279 pages, 67667 words

Action: click FILE, Save As, Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHNWHSFF Rich text format, SAVE

Results: BHNWHSFF  (compatibility mode); Footer: 279 pages, 67667 words  [all of the original document is visible]

Action: double click Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHNWHSFF Rich text format

Results: BHNWHSFF  (compatibility mode); Footer: 192 pages, 67667 words [only the first 192 pages of the original document are visible]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Action: double click Downloads BHMontagRev1.rtf

Results: (protected view); Footer: 281 pages

Action: click ENABLE EDITING

Results: BHMontagRev1  (compatibility mode); Footer: 281 pages

Action: click FILE/Convert/OK

Results: BHMontagRev1; Footer: 280 pages, 67947 words

Action: click FILE, Save As, Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHMontagRev1 Rich text format, SAVE

Results: BHMontagRev1  (compatibility mode); Footer: 280 pages, 67947 words  [all of the original document is visible]

Action: double click Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHNWHSFF Rich text format

Results: BHMontagRev1  (compatibility mode); Footer: 25 pages, 67947 words [only the first 25 pages of the original document are visible]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Action: double click Downloads BHCassie.doc

Results: (protected view); Footer: 284 pages

Action: click ENABLE EDITING

Results: BHCassie  (compatibility mode); Footer: 284 pages

Action: click FILE/Convert/OK

Results: BHCassie; Footer: 282 pages, 68877 words

Action: click FILE, Save As, Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHMontagRev1 Word document, SAVE

Results: BHCassie; Footer: 282 pages, 68877 words

Action: double click Documents >> Beyond Hercules >> Story >> BHCassie Word document

Results: BHCassie  (compatibility mode); Footer: 276 pages, 68877 words [all of the original document is visible]

CONCLUSION: the DOWNLOAD folder document displayed by Word following a SAVE in rich text format is NOT THE SAME as the document actually saved in the DOCUMENTS folder.

automatically add date to filename when saving a word document?

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 07:35 AM PST

Hi there,

I would very much appreciate if you could help me with this!

I want to be able to manage versions of a word document by making an automatic suffix to the filename when saving the document.

E.g. "Master's thesis_[yyyymmdd].docx" would do great.

I did some searching and it seems that there are several macros available to do the job. However, as this is really a quite simple task, and I feel that macro-documents are quite inconvenient when several people are working with the same document and you have to email it around and so on, I'm wondering is there really no way to do this without macros?

Thanks for help, any tips are well appreciated!

Mail Merge Fields Grey and not selectable

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 07:33 AM PST

The buttons to add merge fields are greyed out.  How do I make them selectable?

Problems with word not displaying text correctly

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 07:22 AM PST

Hi I have a problem with word that i need help with. My problem is that when i get to the edge of the page and  Word is supposed to move the entire word to the new line it just cuts i in half.

Words mark in red are supposed to be just one word. Now if i try to copy the text in to another document it still dose the same thing but not if i rewrite it.

Microsoft Word 2013 Template Development issue...

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 07:14 AM PST

I am creating a Letter Template for my company in MS Word 2013. Using the Background feature, I added a Photo that covers the whole background and it looks exactly the way I want the letter form to look. I then added the Company Name to the Header and company address and phone to the footer section. I saved the letter document as a Template and it was saved to my personal template area. However, when I choose to create a New Document and select the saved Template that I created, only the header and footer are available; the background photo did not get added to the template; the page background is white.

Is there any way for me to save the background into the Template file that I am saving so it can be available to all new documents that I would like to create with this template?

Thank you for your reply, for I am stuck!

Formula to Convert the minutes to Decimals in a Word Table

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 05:57 AM PST

10 30
To copy the above cell(Repeat here) (= 10) To Convert the above to Decimal MINS (= .50)

=SUM(ABOVE) Hi all I would like some help. Using a WORD Table I would like a formula that would convert MINS to decimal Mins. The table above is a nut shell of the two formulas I require. =Sum(above) 1 = .02

Mod. Moved from Excel

Merge output as a formula?

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 05:34 AM PST

I have a Word mail merge template that contains a table with formulae in some cells.

This entry: {= sum (B1,B2,B3) \#,##0.00;(#,##0.00)} places the formula in my output document.

That is what I want (in case the user changes any figures in the output document, so the totals still work).

However, in another cell, I want to include a similar formula inside an IF statement like this: {if {= sum(B1,B2,B3) } > 0 {= sum (B4,B6) \#,##0.00;(#'##0.00)} ""}

The output is then a number, not a formula.

How can I make it output the second example as a formula?

Placing template on the File --> New --> Available Templates page

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 05:16 AM PST

I would like to place a custom template I created on the page that appears when I choose File ---> New in Microsoft Word 2010.

In the "Home" banner at the top, I see links to Blank Document, Blog Post, Recent Templates, Sample Templates, My Templates, and New from existing. Is there a way to place my custom template on that page so I don't have to click My Templates and then chose it from the "Personal Templates" window that opens?

Thanks,

pjs

how to merge chapter (with endnotes) and Figure/Table/Equation numbering

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 04:50 AM PST

I have 3 chapters in a 3 separate word documents and in each document there are endnotes. I would like to merge all in a unique world document BUT with the pertinent endnote at the end of each chapter and not as a unique section at the end of the final document.

Second question:

how to numerate Table/Figures/Equations in each chapter progressively but with the chapter numeration at the start (e.g. I have 6 Figures in Chapter 1.0 and I would have 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3, 1.0.4, 1.0.5 and 1.0.6)?

Thanks,

M

VBA Code to Resize Logo in Word Header

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 02:09 AM PST

The following code is an extract ....

For Each oSec In ActiveDocument.Sections

     oSec.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.ParagraphFormat.Alignment = wdAlignParagraphRight

     oSec.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.InlineShapes.AddPicture FileName:=strLogo, LinkToFile:=False, SaveWithDocument:=True

Next oSec

The code works OK, but the logo is too big for the header area.

Are there any parameters that will allow me to resize it whilst retaining the ratio.

Thanks in anticipation

  

Inactive/active window color, No difference !

Posted: 06 Mar 2014 01:45 AM PST

Hi,

How can I have Office 2013 using standard Windows colors for windows?

Because it is extremely difficult to work with a Word file and a Excel file open together, you never know which one is currently the active window !!!

This is how Word looks like when the window is ACTIVE:

This is how Word looks like when the Window is INACTIVE: it is almost the same as the active window!!


This is how looks all my application when the window is ACTIVE:

And this is how looks all my application when the windows is INACTIVE

Unable to open Doc and docx file

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 11:55 PM PST

Hi 

I am using Word 2011 on my Mac, I received 2 word files xxx.doc and yyy.docx via email which I believed from an older than 2011 word.

When I tried to open, I am prompted to select the encoding, however, none of the selected encoding able to open the file correctly to be readable as shown below.

Custom TOC / Index for highlighted text in a word document

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 09:51 PM PST

Hi,

I am trying to find a way to create a custom TOC or list which automatically summarizes, in the executive summary, the consolidated summary points throughout my reports.

Ideally I'd like to be able to apply some colour coding to distinguish or categorize between the types of summary points.

Note the report already has and needs the standard TOC.

Thx in advance,

Richard

figure caption made a space before the number

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 07:05 PM PST

when I add my caption to my figure i got something like

Fig 1

Fig 2

Fig 3

etc...

But I don't need the space, I want them to be like

Fig1

Fig2

Fig3

The space is added automatically so when I chosed my caption I chose (Fig) no space after the g but it automatically add it.

The second part of my question is: if we solved the space problem can you tell me how to change all the captions that I already have in my documents to delete the space issue.

Thanks

Converting from Word 2010 with TOC to a PDF produces Bookmark Error

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 06:25 PM PST

I am trying to convert a Word document which has a table of contents into a PDF.  On my computer, it works fine.  On my friend's computer, the table of contents page numbers turn into "Error, bookmark not found" (in Word) just before the conversion to PDF is done.

Is there a setting in Word that I need to find to stop this from happening?  I know I can turn the TOC into text with CTRL-SHIFT-F9, but I'd rather not do that if there is another solution (as it obviously works on my computer without doing that).

Thanks for any help you can give.

Michelle

Windows 8 adds black background to images when style is applied in Word 2010

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 06:02 PM PST

On my Windows 7 machine with Office 2010 installed, styling an image in Word works with no changes to any default configurations.

Installing the same version of Office on my WIndows 8 machine and styling an image produces a black background no matter what style is used.

I write documentation and will have to recommend my customers and client NOT purchase Windows 8 machines unless this bug can be fixed. The document writing community is quite large and this will affect a lot of people.

Thank you for your speedy assistance.

Spellcheck Not Working

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 05:29 PM PST

I downloaded the trial version of Microsoft Office Home Premium 2013 an the spell check does not work in Microsoft Word. I noticed a spelling error as I was tying and it did not become highlighted. I ran spell check and it said "Spelling and grammar check complete. You're good to go!" without catching the error. Is this a known issue? Any fix for it?

TOC doesn't recognize styles

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 04:04 PM PST

I have written a lengthy document, using the TOC1, TOC2, and TOC3 headings in "styles" to delineate chapters.  The table of contents function worked well for a while to make my TOC, but now it no longer recognizes the titles.  I have tried going through the document and re-designating the titles, but Word 2013 still won't recognize them for the purpose of generating a TOC.  Any suggestions?

Problem changing background color in Office Home and Business

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 03:54 PM PST

I bought a Surface Pro with Office Home and Business. Both word and xcel screens are black with white

letters entering when I type. how do I change the screens to white with black letters/numbers?

Can't open transferred Word 2007 Docs (Vista) on my new laptop Windows 8.1

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 03:50 PM PST

I recently had to purchase a new laptop with 8.1 preinstalled.  I removed my hard drive from the old computer (Vista) and transferred all the Word, Excel and PDF files and documents from the old hard drive (easy transfer was not an option).  I installed Office Home & Student 2007, and activated it,  on the new laptop and tried to open the transferred documents on the new laptop, none will open.  I am sure it is an easy fix but I have been able to.

All the pictures and music open, just not the documents.

Thanks!

Error 30089-4

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 03:37 PM PST

I am unable to access any of my microsoft programs (word, powerpoint, excel), and it keeps saying "Sorry we ran into a problem" and showing "Error 30089-4". I bought the program a couple months ago online for my laptop and it was working just fine until today. I tried to access it via Programs to possibly uninstall it, but I wouldn't know how to re-install it? It now no longer acts like I have any microsoft products on my computer because it's only letting me open up a previous document in "WordPad only. Help!

Clickable emails and links in Word 2013

Posted: 05 Mar 2014 01:24 PM PST

Well, I used to have it, and now I don't.

When I put an email address in a word document or in an email, eg, *** Email address is removed for privacy *** it would show up as a clearly identified clickable link. But that was in Word 2010 under Windows 7. Now, with Word/Office 2013 and Windows 8,1, it doesn't work. It gives me this funky "{ hyperlink..." format, which isn't clickable, and which I absolutely don't want.

How do I fix this?

Also, used to be, when I clicked on an email in another email or document, it would open a blank message in Outlook. Which is what I want. Now, it doesn't do that. It pops up a list of options, none of which are obviously "open a new Outlook message to this address". It does give an option to open it in Exchange, but my Outlook is not connected to an Exchange server.

How do I fix this?

Thx,

TCS