Pages

Search

Microsoft Word - Need help on a work document I'm attempting to improve

Microsoft Word - Need help on a work document I'm attempting to improve


Need help on a work document I'm attempting to improve

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 01:06 PM PST

I am attempting to help out a department at work streamline their tracking sheet. The word document is used to track information about submitted engineering assistance to repair aircraft damage. This tracking sheet gives them a brief overlook of current status, due dates, and priorities of the different aircraft undergoing maintenance. 

The current word document is cumbersome to update. As you input new information, the other text starts moving around as characters are added. Im looking to lock certain areas of the document so as data is inputed, the remaining items on the same line don't move anywhere. 

They also have a color coding system to identify which engineering group is handling a request, so they need to be able to change the colors and format of text they will be changing.

Here is a copy paste of one block they have on the sheet:

Bay 3 Line C                                                             PRIORITY                                               XXXXXXXX
AIRCRAFT ARRIVAL DATE:  12/1/14                    DUE DATE: 12/22/14
A/C SERIAL NO: XXXX              REGISTRATION: NXXXXX     HOURS: 39,265.2              CYCLES: 33,023
   -STS 409+128 BL0 RH post short by 0.063" request shim   Job 5 op 107  Due 12/16
-STS Left hand aileron dents on upper skin  Due 5 op 61  Due 12/15
-STS Floor sill blend out of limits by .004 Job 1 Op 260  - Due 12/18/14 

The Top Left "Bay 3 Line C" information never changes.  The priority has a drop down box to select the priority number.     The red x's indicate the customers order # and is changed with new orders.

The aircraft arrival and due dates change with each completion of maintenance on the aircrafts.

As the aircrafts arrive the serial number, registration, and hours/cycles are inputed then dont change until the next aircraft arrives in the hangar.

Now the information in violet, this is the main part that is edited frequently. Additional items are added, some are deleted as the engineering is approved and received to them.

Im asking for some help on how to setup a fool proof way to keep items tidy while updating all the info .  Any help is appreciated.

Word 2010 - won't keep my preferred language

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 01:02 PM PST

hi,

I installed a Irish language pack for Word 2010 which was working except it would not accept other language like English (spell check etc).  I understand some Irish but type in English mostly.  I tried to select English as my language to write it but It still says Irish on the bottom of Word and won't stick.

Its pretty annoying as I would like to switch between the two languages but it is not sticking.  Now its stuck in Irish and I can't get it to switch to English.

How do I get the language to english and stick ?


Office Home and Student 2007.

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 12:27 PM PST

 I cannot get the margins to work.  Can anyone help? Thank you.

Mail Merge limitations

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 11:25 AM PST

I am trying to mail merge using excel spreadsheet as data base.

1. Randomly the word doc does not pick up fields from the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet is approximately 70 columns by 400 rows.

2. When going to "finish & merge" - "edit individual documents". I only get approximately 225 rows. (even if I edit recipient list, I can merge missing rows)

3. Word document does not maintain the format of the numbers in the spreadsheet.

How do I preserve the Outline view of a MSWord document?

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 11:07 AM PST

In Office 2010 when you closed a document in the Outline view the next time you opened it the document was still in Outline view. This seems to have changed with Office 2013. Now the document reopens in Print Layout. Is there a way to have the document reopen in the same view as it was closed in?

I installed office 365 and I don't have the app to work offline, did I miss something in the installation?

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 10:26 AM PST

Do I have to reinstall the program to get the app for office 365 to work  offline?

OpenType font support in Microsoft Word

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 09:55 AM PST

I am quite new to using the advanced features in OpenType fonts, however I would very much like that Microsoft Word supported all the OpenType font options like for instance Adobe Photoshop. It is quite dissapointing to buy a font and then find out that you are not able to use it as intended, because Word does not support all the OpenType font options. Does future Microsoft plans include supporting all the OpenType font features?

Thanks in advance.

Can't Install Persian Proofing Tool

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 09:49 AM PST

I've just installed Office 2013 professional. Typing in Persian, and word notifies my to install Persian Proofing Tool. I downloaded the tool from the proposed website, but not working.

I'm sure all the Office's proofing features are installed (as explained in i.e. English Proofing Tools suddenly missing and WON'T install - Office 2013), and also trying some other solution (such as mentioned in: Can't install default Editing Language in Word 2013). Restarting word and computer after each solution was a presumption, but not effective!

I've been using the proofing tool on my previous system, and hope to have it on my new one....

Thnx...

Mail Merge date showing as number in Word

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 09:34 AM PST

I have an excel spreadsheet that I use to create my mail merge in word. My mail merge has been working fine until today. I have 3 merge fields that show dates and one of them is now only showing numbers, the other two are still formatted correctly. Nothing has changed in my spreadsheet but went ahead I cleared the date formatting and reformatted those columns to see if that was the problem but it is still not working.

Does anyone have any clue as to why this is happening?

No straight lines in word for ipad

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 08:33 AM PST

its impossible to insert a straight line in word for iPad, it always stays slightly tilted. Please fix already!

can open doc and see text but when i make any change, format goes to vertical lines, illegible text and x4000 pages

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 08:31 AM PST

if i cant fix this, i lose 3 days work :(

have a word doc, with 389 pgs of funders for community groups

worked fine til copied some stuff from websites this morning

since then, document playing up

tried all my older versions on dropbox, same thing happening to them

assumed it was word issue, as it also crashed on me

did repair word 2013 (windows 8.1) quick and full, and rebooted computer

checked windows for update

then tried to remove all format from word doc, it just turned my doc into 4000 pages of grey boxes and vertical lines

tried resaving and same issue

i had a calibri 12 normal style, text only with some hyperlinks

any change i try to make, i end up with my text rotating 90degress, kerned together, illegible

if i try to save, it freezes on this andolder versions

should i be looking for hidden objects or text boxes or anything else that might change the format

anyone have any macros that might fix this?

thanks in advance


Word 2013 drop down lists on the iPad

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 08:19 AM PST

I created a Word 2013 work order on a PC with drop down lists. How can I make the drop down lists work on the iPad? I want employees to be able to fill out the form in the field and email it back. The drop downs don't work on the iPad.

Tables split between pages

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 07:19 AM PST

I received a document from someone and the tables only fill up portions of a page.  This is not an issue with the row size.  Rows near the end of the table may be on the next page even if all of the table should fit on the first page.  I also have one that has a row in the middle that is all by itself and the table is split over three pages.  I had success with one table inserting rows and copying them rows on the next page, then deleting the original rows.  But I can't fix other tables the same way.

The original document comes from Word 2003 and I'm using Word 2007.

Thanks in advance for you help.

In Word 2010' clipart

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 04:25 AM PST

The Christmas border that I had used previously (Monday) is no longer in clipart. What happened?

Mail Merge

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 02:57 AM PST

I am trying to do a mail merge.  I've done this successfully and easily for nearly 20 yrs without any issue. Now with 2013 word its a problem.  

I have opened a letter, put the information in.  Gone to mail merge, selected recipients, the selected the fields.  I should then be able to 'update' but that is greyed out and I am therefore unable to merge the file!

Word 2003: How to convert a "narrow" document to a document that wraps to whatever the window is?

Posted: 17 Dec 2014 12:07 AM PST

I like to copy all kinds of documents to my ereader.  Some are wrapped in very short lines.  I want it to wrap to whatever window its being viewed on....duh.  Why anyone would want anything else is beyond logical reasoning of course when we're reading, not printing.  

The bizarre thing here is that the symbol I see at the end of each line when I hit the Enter key to go to the next line is the same as Microsoft uses for the "Show Hide" button.  Why in the world wouldn't they choose a different word?  Or symbol?  

I have no clue how to even describe this task I would like to do!  Is there a name for the thing at the end of each line that looks the same as the Show/Hide symbol?

Word 2007 Mailmerge adding additional pages

Posted: 16 Dec 2014 11:06 PM PST

I am using Word 2007 to produce address labels using mailmerge. I have an address document file with all of the information in a table that links to my label document. All this works fine and when I started the original set up and merge worked, everything was contained in three pages of labels. I have since added to the names and addresses 'database' so a forth page is required to print but I can't find any way of getting word to add an additional page for the extra addresses.

Would appreciate any pointers. (I have got the formatting and everything right so I don't really want to create a new merge document.)

Different page number formats in different sections

Posted: 16 Dec 2014 10:58 PM PST

At https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CAD78704467531B3!145&authkey=!AFsGWS2RC-0uRD0&ithint=file%2cdocx there is a three-page document divided into three New Page Sections.  I would like to format the page numbers differently in each section.

Section 1: no page number (no header or footer).

Section 2: pages numbered in lowercase roman numerals starting at page 1 e.g. Page i of iv

Section 3: pages numbered in Arabic numerals starting at 1 e.g. Page 1 of 1

Would someone please step me through this.  I have tried all the formatting tricks I know but I am not having any luck.

Thanks

Creating Labels in Office 2013 with both People app and Word

Posted: 16 Dec 2014 09:37 PM PST

I have tried searching the community forms or an answer to my problem.

I'm trying to do a mail merge and create labels in Word 2013 utilizing the contact information in the people app in windows 8.1. I'm a solid windows user with all of my devices being windows, desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone. I want to continue to use the people app for my contacts and I already have a good bit of time and data entry invested.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

What does it mean by " microsoft cant find your license for this application."?

Posted: 16 Dec 2014 06:35 PM PST

When I try to open my word document, there is a box jumping out saying," Microsoft cant find your license for this application." What should  I do to solve this problem?

Thank you!

Adding a tick symbol to autocorrect

Posted: 16 Dec 2014 06:14 PM PST

I know the theory on how to add to the auto correct list [for my version of Word it's 'file-options-proofing-auto_correct options'].

I even know how to shorten the process by highlighting the word/etc to be replaced first but, I have had no success in placing the wingding for a tick (character code 0xFC) regardless of whether I select the Plain Text or Formatted Text option.

In my early attempts I wanted to automatically replace when I typed tik with this wingding tick symbol and, in the word document I loaded this combination into the auto_correct list it worked.  However, on new or different documents it doesn't.  

Many thanks in advance as I'm sure adding a tick symbol (any tick symbol - it doesn't have to be a wingding one) to replace as you type whatever you nominate (in my case I want it to be tik) is possible.

Installing microsoft word

Posted: 16 Dec 2014 06:13 PM PST

I am trying to install office 2013 but it keeps saying unable to install check free space on computer...any suggestions would be helpful i have no idea what im doing

Viewing 2 pages instead of 1 in a window by default

Posted: 16 Dec 2014 03:25 PM PST

I have MS Word 2010. It's a great program for writing text and preparing documents. I am preparing one with pictures, diagrams, excel sheets inside containing tables etc. However once I have opened adobe pdf document and converted document to word. The program asked whether to keep all of its settings inside word too. I;ve chosen positive answer button and also to keep it to all new opened word documents. But that option did something undesireable - it hold 2 pages per screen. Or, to say more accurately, two columns of pages in a screen. In View >> Document views it is typed "print layout". Only when I switch between web layout and print layout - only then it is viewed normally - pages in one column and page after page. So my question is - How to do so when I open any edited document I could see pages normally and not in two sections? This is a picture for you to see what I see by default: http://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2014/12/16/twopagesections.png    [<< copy this link and paste to your browser's address bar] You can answer to my email: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***